Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2017, 08:00 PM   #1

Pics! Bulge on Exterior Bottom of Slide. What is it? Delamination?

We just purchased our 1st rv. A 30ft 2012 Forest River Tracer . We looked it over well while it was on the lot. It looked to be in pristine condition. It even smells new inside. Whoever had it appeared to take care. Somehow my husband and I didn't see the bubbling on the very bottom of the slide. No mention of the delam by the dealer. We should have asked. Lesson learned. Anyway, we brought it home and noticed the bubbling on the exterior. Everything I read on delam says it gives when you push it. This is solid. No give at any part. We called the dealer and we took it in. I called and spoke to the general manager because I was upset and he said he's not concerned because it's not soft and they are going to make sure its sealed properly. I told him i was super upset because we put our faith in them when they did their full inspection and found it disgusting that they didn't disclose that info to us. I wouldn't have paid what I did for sure. He said they will put me into a new one if I'm not happy. I can't afford a new one. He said to me that once sealed it won't get worse. That's not what I have been reading. I feel sick over this. Can anyone give me some more insight? What more can I do? Please nobody make any harsh comments. I'm upset enough that we were careless and missed it. I'm attaching a few pics. As strange as it sounds, it was more noticeable at night with a flash light. Also I believe the lines from the window to the bubbled spots are seams underneath? Correct me if wrong. Thanks for your help in advance!
Attached Images

RoxyFoxy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:45 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. It might help if you would orientate your pics the correct way. it may not be delimitation but rather something pushing from the inside against the outer layer. fix the pics so we can get a better look
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:51 PM   #3

Maybe one of the moderators will rotate them. She may not know how. I know that I don't.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:56 PM   #4

I'm not sure how to rotate them, I'm sorry. They show correctly on my end and when I upload they are sideways. If anyone can help, I can try to fix them. Thanks
Old 05-23-2017, 09:09 PM   #5
Site Team

Photos rotated.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Photos rotated.
Thank you
Old 05-23-2017, 09:14 PM   #7

Do you see any damage on the interior where this is on the outside? Delam usually is soft so this may just be a bad looking wall. Take it back to the dealer, have them do a complete exterior reseal (including roof) and pressure leak test.
Just so you know, dealers do not disclose anything on used units and sell them "as is".
As long as they seal it for you for free, enjoy it and make some memories. Keep it until you can afford to trade it on your next dream trailer. (that usually is in a few years as your taste and situation changes)
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:16 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Photos rotated.
Okay Flybob, think we may have been rotating the pics at the same time here.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
Do you see any damage on the interior where this is on the outside? Delam usually is soft so this may just be a bad looking wall. Take it back to the dealer, have them do a complete exterior reseal (including roof) and pressure leak test.
Just so you know, dealers do not disclose anything on used units and sell them "as is".
As long as they seal it for you for free, enjoy it and make some memories. Keep it until you can afford to trade it on your next dream trailer. (that usually is in a few years as your taste and situation changes)

We see no damage on the inside. It all looks and feels solid. It's at the dealer now. I will call tomorrow and request a full reseal and a pressure test. I don't know if they will but it's worth a shot. They said they would seal where they thought maybe a leak was and go over and check all the seals and check for moisture. Next time my eyes will be peeled! I feel so mad at myself about this and I can't believe my husband and I both missed it! We have our first trip coming up and I'm so excited! This had my stomach in knots. Hopefully it's just an ugly wall and no major issue! I'll take a few small eye sores over a major issue!
Old 05-23-2017, 09:48 PM   #10

Don't beat yourselves up. The first rig is always the hardest, you just don't have enough experience to look for all the possible issues.
Not having interior damage (wall board that has "hard pimples") is a good sign.
Get your last minute accessories purchases made and have fun planning your trip.
Keep us posted and be safe out there.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Don't beat yourselves up. The first rig is always the hardest, you just don't have enough experience to look for all the possible issues.
Not having interior damage (wall board that has "hard pimples") is a good sign.
Get your last minute accessories purchases made and have fun planning your trip.
Keep us posted and be safe out there.

One more question. When I ask for a reseal, what all would be involved in that? I personally know nothing about sealing. The most sealing I've done is caulked the interior windows of my house and the door and window trims! Haha.
I'm pretty sure the sealing you're referring to is quite different.

I'll definitely keep you posted! Thanks for being so kind! We will be safe and plan on having lots of fun! Makes me feel like a giddy kid! I can't wait to get out there and camp!
Old 05-23-2017, 10:22 PM   #12

In my estimation the bulges are to straight and even to be delimitation I think its like I said in my first post something on the inside pushing against the outside skin.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
In my estimation the bulges are to straight and even to be delimitation I think its like I said in my first post something on the inside pushing against the outside skin.
Thank you! We will take a closer look when we get it back from the dealer. It's on the bottom of the slide where the big wrap around table/bed is located.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyFoxy04 View Post
One more question. When I ask for a reseal, what all would be involved in that? I personally know nothing about sealing. The most sealing I've done is caulked the interior windows of my house and the door and window trims! Haha.
I'm pretty sure the sealing you're referring to is quite different.

I'll definitely keep you posted! Thanks for being so kind! We will be safe and plan on having lots of fun! Makes me feel like a giddy kid! I can't wait to get out there and camp!
The tech will / should check / seal everything that has ever been sealed. Roof and walls. Basically, any hole (windows, doors, AC, roof vents and seams.) Also trim pieces, moldings ect.
This is also what is considered basic maintenance that should be checked religiously at least twice a year or performed by dealer in spring and fall.
This is a basic service the dealer has on their service sheet. They do this all the time and will know what you mean when you tell them to do it.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:42 PM   #15

Quote:
The tech will / should check / seal everything that has ever been sealed. Roof and walls. Basically, any hole (windows, doors, AC, roof vents and seams.) Also trim pieces, moldings ect.
This is also what is considered basic maintenance that should be checked religiously at least twice a year or performed by dealer in spring and fall.
This is a basic service the dealer has on their service sheet. They do this all the time and will know what you mean when you tell them to do it.
Got it! Thank you very much!!
Old 05-24-2017, 08:04 AM   #16

I have a few of those on my 2012 Windjammer 3001W, can see them when the light's just right. I don't think it's delamination because the pattern is too symmetrical.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:19 PM   #17

I don't believe it's delamination. Delam shows as bubbles. You have a 'crease'. Looks to me like something under the Filon is pushing against it. I would lookunder the cabinets / furniture in the slid (might mean taking things apart) to ascertain what is causing the pressure but if you see nothing, I would not get too concerned. The skin isn't seperating from the substrate.

JMO
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
I have a few of those on my 2012 Windjammer 3001W, can see them when the light's just right. I don't think it's delamination because the pattern is too symmetrical.
I' ve got something akin to this going on with mine too. But, like the other posters have said, when you push on it there is no give, so I don't think its a delamination issue. Having never seen one of these built, I can't imagine that the entire side is done in one shot and put on the frame, rather I assume( and maybe incorrectly) that this is done and large sections and joined somehow and finished down. Perhaps a tour should be on my bucket list
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:45 PM   #19
ARLO

Quote:
We just purchased our 1st rv. A 30ft 2012 Forest River Tracer . We looked it over well while it was on the lot. It looked to be in pristine condition. It even smells new inside. Whoever had it appeared to take care. Somehow my husband and I didn't see the bubbling on the very bottom of the slide. No mention of the delam by the dealer. We should have asked. Lesson learned. Anyway, we brought it home and noticed the bubbling on the exterior. Everything I read on delam says it gives when you push it. This is solid. No give at any part. We called the dealer and we took it in. I called and spoke to the general manager because I was upset and he said he's not concerned because it's not soft and they are going to make sure its sealed properly. I told him i was super upset because we put our faith in them when they did their full inspection and found it disgusting that they didn't disclose that info to us. I wouldn't have paid what I did for sure. He said they will put me into a new one if I'm not happy. I can't afford a new one. He said to me that once sealed it won't get worse. That's not what I have been reading. I feel sick over this. Can anyone give me some more insight? What more can I do? Please nobody make any harsh comments. I'm upset enough that we were careless and missed it. I'm attaching a few pics. As strange as it sounds, it was more noticeable at night with a flash light. Also I believe the lines from the window to the bubbled spots are seams underneath? Correct me if wrong. Thanks for your help in advance!
They are in position on my screen.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Sorry to hear that....I can certainly understand your being upset. This looks very similar to what i have on my trailer.I think it's a seam where two pieces of luaun behind the fiberglass come together. Mine came about because there was poor sealing of the roof right above the seam which allowed water to slowly run down the seam. I believe the outer fiberglass is still attached to the luaun but the edges of the luaun have swollen where they come together therefore the seam shows. Of course this is just my opinion. I would try to contact the previous owner because I would think ( not making accusations here) that the dealership may have noticed that and maybe use it to their advantage to low ball the trade in value (of course this is just my opinion). If you can find out whether on not it was disclosed (by the previous owner) to the dealer than that would go a long way it helping resolve the issue. In my opinion the dealer should stand behind it and take care of you. I do hope you can get it resolved.
danc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exterior, slide, delamination