Old 03-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #1
Possible source of water leak?

This is on an '05 FR Grand Surveyor GS291. It was discovered last Saturday that I have had water leaking into the unit. My son, D-I-L, and grandson's were staying in it overnight while we had other family visiting. He kept smelling something musky/moldy and searched for the source. This unit has the slightly sloping front end with a large window on the front and a cover that manually is let up or down. He found some orange colored mold on the right front of the bed area in the front of the unit. There is also some of this orange mold on the floor of the closet next to this bed. It looks as if some water has intruded in from the front window and dribbled down onto this area. One thing I noticed, or seemed to, was that with the window cover down and locked---it appears that water could get trapped between the cover and window and maybe find a way to leak in. Unless someone here tells me a good reason otherwise, I'm going to pull the entire window assembly out, inspect everything, and re-install the window making sure I seal everything. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thurman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Looks like you are taking the best approach. Anything else would be a patch. Just get some butyl tape for the re-install, and helps to have two people. If there is only one, tape the window to the trailer on the outside, with masking tape or painters tape, then remove the screws and trim from the inside. Once that is done, you can go outside, and remove the tape and the window.

2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Found the water intrusion place (I'm reasonably sure) and fixed it. I removed the inner window frame and did see where some water had intruded into the unit at the lower right hand (on inside) of the window framing. I had to cut through some heavy clear silicone on the outside window frame then remove the window as a window/frame/hinged cover assembly. There was some foam type tape on the inside of the window frame, which I would think they use at the factory and it had deteriorated pretty bad (probably leading to the leakage. There was some visible evidence of water leaking through the silicone at the upper right (from outside) of the window frame. It seems the water entered there, traveled along the top of the window frame, then going down the left side of the frame and found a way to enter the TT. I cleaned ALL residual silicone/foam tape from everything, inner frame, outer frame, and the outer wall of the TT itself. I then washed everthing with hot/Simple Green water and gave it all a good clear water rinse. I hung the frames in my shop with a fan blowing on them to help dry them for four hours. When I was ready I placed a large (3/8" ?) bead of an automotive white window silicone sealant around the window opening, then placed the window frame/window/cover assembly into this opening pressing lightly. From the inside of the unit I made sure this frame was lined up with equal gaps all around. I had to put some wooden door shims in the bottom to get this gap correct all around. I then put some silicone into the gap at the bottom, at five places, and squeezed it in very good. I allowed this to set for a couple of hours to make something like "bumpers" for the frame to sit on (old auto glass trick). After the outer and inner silicone had dried for a couple of hours I put the inner frame back in and started all new screws (38 of 'em) into the frames. I used a staggered pattern to snug them down then hand tightened them. I went outside to see if I had white silicone "oozing" out from the outer window frame, to indicate a good seal. I had a good "ooze" all around the window which is very good. I will let this dry unti Monday afternoon then cut the excess of with a razor blade. THEN I will add another thin bead of clear all aroung this frame and strike it smooth. I dare this window to leak again. I hope this helps someone else when they find a leak at the front window.
Thurman is online now   Reply With Quote