Old 09-24-2018, 01:05 PM   #1

Preparing surface to apply Eternabond tape?

What should I do to prepare the surface before applying Eternabond tape on the front seam where the cap meets the rubber roof? Our Columbus is less than a year old but the roof has what appears to be some mildew on it. Looks like the roof material is starting to pull away a little in one spot from the strip over the seam.

10Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:10 PM   #2

Not trying to be a smartass, but just follow the instructions on the package or the website. They also sell a specialized cleaner for Eternabond.

Some folks use acetone and like products. I washed the area thoroughly and used alchohol (which they don't recommend), but it has worked great for several years now.

Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Not trying to be a smartass, but just follow the instructions on the package or the website. They also sell a specialized cleaner for Eternabond.

Some folks use acetone and like products. I washed the area thoroughly and used alchohol (which they don't recommend), but it has worked great for several years now.
I haven't ordered it yet and haven't used it before. Just wanted to make sure I didn't need to order something else with it. I like the alcohol idea. I'm cheap.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Ranger View Post
I haven't ordered it yet and haven't used it before. Just wanted to make sure I didn't need to order something else with it. I like the alcohol idea. I'm cheap.
I understand the cheap part. On their website they sell the cleaner and also a roller. I just used my fingers and did it when it was warm.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:56 PM   #5

Mineral spirits and then alcohol. Easy Peasy
Old 09-24-2018, 08:28 PM   #6

Like the previous post I used mineral spirits on the existing sealant and used the alcohol more where it would lay on the roof material.And also for going over the sealant after the spirits.My roof was real clean because I just washed it and checked it good.That's how I found my issue. The stuff works great, I did the front and back caps on my trailer Sat morning.After you put some down if you overlap I hit the top of the new tape with alcohol just in case and it stuck well.I had a small wooden wallpaper roller and used it a little in places but you can do alot by hand.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:52 PM   #7

I used Eternabond on the front seam of our TT. I cleaned the front roof seam with lacquer thinner and applied two 4" wide overlapping tapes and self levelling caulking on the Eternabond edges.
Attached Images

Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiguan Tow r View Post
I used Eternabond on the front seam of our TT. I cleaned the front roof seam with lacquer thinner and applied two 4" wide overlapping tapes and self levelling caulking on the Eternabond edges.
Looks like a professional job. Hope mine looks that good when I finish.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiguan Tow r View Post
I used Eternabond on the front seam of our TT. I cleaned the front roof seam with lacquer thinner and applied two 4" wide overlapping tapes and self-leveling caulking on the Eternabond edges.
Can you tell us what product you used for the "self-leveling caulking?"

I've heard so much about the Eternabond tape I'm sure someone has answered this along the way. But when applying it over previously applied "self-leveling caulking" isn't the surface uneven and bumpy? If so how does one get the E-B tape to adhere to every square inch of the previously applied caulk? Or isn't every square inch necessary?

BTW, my experience with Acetone is - its nasty stuff and can eat away of most any substance, if not applied correctly. I use it sparingly when necessary! And please use chemical resistant gloves!

Thanks -- I know I'm headed for this in the near future!
moshe1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #10

IPA rubbing alcohol is available in many different concentrations (percentage) of alcohol... get the 90% or higher stuff as it evaporates faster... get it at any Walmart or dollar store

Eternabond tape adheres to every square inch of self-leveling caulk IF before you apply it, clean with mineral spiirits, then rubbing alcohol, then take a single edge razor blade and shave off really high spots of the caulk... this is actually fairly easy to do... then apply the Eternabond with your fingers first, pushing down on the surface, then rolling it with a roller... work with short pieces of the Eternabond maybe 2 or 3 feet and only peel back the backing 6 inches or so at a time... apply then peel off more backing

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond