Old 05-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #1

Preventing stripe degradation

We're upgrading from a 9 year old TT to a Rockwood 8282WS Platinum and I have a question about maintaining the exterior to keep the swoosh stripes from possible degradation.

The reason I ask is that on the TT, the stripes have suffered horribly (but not the model decals front and back, except for fading). It seems that they shrank by a large amount and either cracked across the short dimension from tension or seriously crept inward from the ends. In places like the cargo door they crept away from the frame by nearly 2 inches at each end, leaving a slug-like trail of exposed (and petrified) adhesive.

I've never applied any product to the exterior other than a cleaner every few years which got well rinsed off. We live in an area that probably has a 130F temperature range: can get 95 in summer and -35 in winter.

It seems to be nearly impossible to remove and replace these things so I'm seeking opinions on how to prevent it happening on our new 5er. Did I just get incredibly bad material on the TT and it doesn't happen on Rockwood products? Should I use a cover? Is there a good product to apply on gel-coat walls?

Thanks.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #2

Tip no.1 - Do not wax decals
Tip no.2 - Use 303 Aerospace Protectant on all decals, rubber, and even tires.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:21 PM   #3

I have applied wax or polish (non-abrasive...I only use Zaino) on all my vehicles for years living in states noted for a lot of sunlight (UV rays) and have never had a problem. In fact, the stickers on my vehicles are in good shape and show no fading, but the stickers on my 2 years old popup are starting to fade; probably because I have never zaino'ed the trailer (or waxed it). (Maybe I should?)

From Meguiar's website forum
You can wax over vinyl stickers, decals and graphics if they are smooth and glossy in appearance. For those that are matte finished it's best not to wax over them, but we have seen some really good success with Gold Class Trim Detailer lightly applied to matte finished graphics.

A couple of things to look out for:
Pointed edges on decals can be prone to lifting if rubbed over too often and once they lift, it's pretty much game over for that decal.

Dark colored graphics against dark paint (think red on black, etc) may show dried wax along the edges that you'd have to clean up with some Quik Detailer and a soft brush. Not a serious problem, just a little extra detail work.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
I have applied wax or polish (non-abrasive...I only use Zaino) on all my vehicles for years living in states noted for a lot of sunlight (UV rays) and have never had a problem. In fact, the stickers on my vehicles are in good shape and show no fading, but the stickers on my 2 years old popup are starting to fade; probably because I have never zaino'ed the trailer (or waxed it). (Maybe I should?)

From Meguiar's website forum
You can wax over vinyl stickers, decals and graphics if they are smooth and glossy in appearance. For those that are matte finished it's best not to wax over them, but we have seen some really good success with Gold Class Trim Detailer lightly applied to matte finished graphics.

A couple of things to look out for:
Pointed edges on decals can be prone to lifting if rubbed over too often and once they lift, it's pretty much game over for that decal.

Dark colored graphics against dark paint (think red on black, etc) may show dried wax along the edges that you'd have to clean up with some Quik Detailer and a soft brush. Not a serious problem, just a little extra detail work.
It depends on the type of wax you are using. If it contains petroleum distillates, it can damage them over time. As expensive as they are, I don't take any chances. I spray them with 303 and then wax the rest.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #5

303 on decals & rubber! Youroo!!
Old 05-16-2014, 03:59 PM   #6

Okay! Thanks for the recommendations - I'll do that.

Dave

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:45 PM   #7

When I notice a crack on my decals, I use a similar color automotive touch up paint to seal and cover the damage. It seems to help keep it looking nice. Guess some day I will lose the battle.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:17 PM   #8

NOTHING short of indoor storage will keep the decals looking like new for years to come
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:20 PM   #9

Thanks for the tip. I'll pick up that 303 protectant

2014 Sunseeker 3010DS, 2001 Jeep Cherokee toad

Tags
vent