Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2010, 06:17 PM   #1

Problems with the Caulk.

Please have a look and let me know what you think. Is this a failure of the joint or normal wear and tear? There are other spots on the trailer but that id the most obvious. Someone put on a sealer that looks grey now and I assume that it was the dealer as we had a leakage problem with our trade in when we bought this new one in fall of 2007.

Should I just scrape it, wash with alcohol, and caulk it ?????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inventory_ March 21, 2009_0038.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	2526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inventory_ March 21, 2009_0040.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	2527  
Palomino_G210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Yes, I would scrape it out and redo it. Caulking and sealants are considered a maintenance item, and don't last forever....
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #3

Scrape the old sealent out, clean with denatured alcohol (denatured alcohol will clean old sealent). Use a sealent named QUAD from Home Depot or Lowes for about $5.00 a tube, its the same sealanet used by rv dealers different name and a 3 times the cost the cost. This QUAD is real sticky stuff, use WD-40 on you finger to smooth it out, skim over in a couple of hours and dry in a couple of days.

Life is something to do when you've finished breakfast
Chuck & Margie
Both Retired
08 2500HD Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Flagstaff 829fkss
Round Mound of Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:01 PM   #4
Knower of Some Things

Quad will work, as will ProFlex RV. Stay away from silicone; it doesn't like to stick to anything for very long. It sure does look good when it's fresh, though.
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumaPro View Post
Quad will work, as will ProFlex RV. Stay away from silicone; it doesn't like to stick to anything for very long. It sure does look good when it's fresh, though.
I've used ProFlex, $6.80 from the manufacturer, on my front windshield. It holds up for about a season but seems to seperate from the rubber window seal. I'm going to try the Quad stuff next. Thanks to those who posted it. I've had that windshield caulked 3 times. Once at the dealership during warranty repairs, it lasted about a month. Once by me with a RV sealant I purchased at a dealership, it lasted about 60 days. Last and latest another recaulk by me with ProFlex last July and I just noticed it's loose all over the place. Thankfully no water has gotten it. I've cleaned up the rubber and body with denatured alcohol but I'm still getting the same results. Anyone use something different to clean off the area to be caulked?

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
Knower of Some Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
I've used ProFlex, $6.80 from the manufacturer, on my front windshield. It holds up for about a season but seems to seperate from the rubber window seal. I'm going to try the Quad stuff next. Thanks to those who posted it. I've had that windshield caulked 3 times. Once at the dealership during warranty repairs, it lasted about a month. Once by me with a RV sealant I purchased at a dealership, it lasted about 60 days. Last and latest another recaulk by me with ProFlex last July and I just noticed it's loose all over the place. Thankfully no water has gotten it. I've cleaned up the rubber and body with denatured alcohol but I'm still getting the same results. Anyone use something different to clean off the area to be caulked?
Usually, the sealant for the windshields is where you can't see it - behind the black weather stripping. The caulk isn't sticking to the rubber because, well, it can't. Too much expansion/contraction of that rubber, plus there isn't much caulk that can stick to it other than the installation adhesive. On pretty much any coach, you can peel back that black weather stripping just a little bit. That isn't what actually seals the windshield to the cap. If you do so choose, try to stick some caulk between the black rubber and the fiberglass. It won't stick to the outside real well.
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:42 AM   #7

Yep, that's normal. As mention above it's a maintenance thing. Mine lasted about two years.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote