Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2018, 08:41 PM   #1

Proflex Cracking

Hello everyone. I posted something like this a couple a years ago looking for advice. I received some advice and applied it but still am struggling with the exact problems. My problem in a nutshell.
- I apply the sealant following the absolutely most anal approach possible and after a month it cracks.
-The sealant gets hard and splits in the middle.

I need a sealant that is better than Proflex. I cannot seem to buy the 2300 MHRV in Canada which I would try unless someone wants to give me the name of a magic distributor? I have applied it to fridge vents, it cracks, water entry covers, it cracks, flush connections, it cracks, body joints it cracks ect. ect. summer time it cracks winter time it cracks some more. I put it on the moment I pick it up from the busiest RV parts store around, it cracks. I have published my process to multiple people, techs and the all say it is more than perfect. Basically I clean off all the old sealant using mineral spirits and plastic scrapper. I clean off any residue with isopropyl alcohol. I let that dry, tape off and apply the sealant as thinly and carefully as I can. Within a month the sealant cracks down the middle, I am sometimes madder than others so I fill the crack with more Proflex. The stuff gets hard as a rock and I start cursing. I have never tried so hard to do something correctly and have it fail. The only other things I can think of is that I use Turtle wax zip wax for washing the trailer (highly recommended and No Hydrocarbons as far as the MSDS says) and 303 protectant for UV. I am open to any all recommendations as I am completely lost.
KevinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:03 PM   #2
Site Team

You should be able to buy Lexel caulk in Canada. Amazon.ca has it.

To me it's a great caulking. I prefer it greatly to Proflex.

It's rated for -34º to 93º service.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
You should be able to buy Lexel caulk in Canada. Amazon.ca has it.

To me it's a great caulking. I prefer it greatly to Proflex.

It's rated for -34º to 93º service.
thanks again!,

Just looked it up I can get it easy. It does not list RV's as common application but I don't really care - as long it works. It comes only in white or clear as far as I can tell which is a bit of a drawback. If I am lucky it will yellow a bit over time and match the trailer. I am also guessing based on where you live it deals with UV well? I have been to Alabama and it is hot!
KevinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:26 PM   #4
Site Team

Saying it's hot down here is putting it mildly! But it's a wet heat!!!

The good thing about Lexel is that you can paint or stain it, so you could get a little stain that matches the original color and stain the beads once you caulk the places that need them. You have to wait 3 to 4 weeks to use oil base stain, but you can use latex stain in a couple of days.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:01 PM   #5

Wouldn't a 93° service level.be an issue for you?

I'm in Georgia and it would for us..
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinS View Post
thanks again!,

Just looked it up I can get it easy. It does not list RV's as common application but I don't really care - as long it works. It comes only in white or clear as far as I can tell which is a bit of a drawback. If I am lucky it will yellow a bit over time and match the trailer. I am also guessing based on where you live it deals with UV well? I have been to Alabama and it is hot!
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post

That could be celcius
swampdonkey772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdonkey772 View Post
That could be celcius
Still could be an issue.. LOL.

Curious to see how this stuff works and if it's any better. OP, please report back your thoughts.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:07 AM   #8

I've used Lexel a lot and it holds up well. Just be aware that it is very sticky and skins over quickly. Very tough to run a finger over it and smooth it. If you approach it like you would a latex caulk that you can run a finger over and make a great looking bead, you're gonna be in for a headache!
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I've used Lexel a lot and it holds up well. Just be aware that it is very sticky and skins over quickly. Very tough to run a finger over it and smooth it. If you approach it like you would a latex caulk that you can run a finger over and make a great looking bead, you're gonna be in for a headache!
Even with some water on your finger?
Old 10-19-2018, 10:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Even with some water on your finger?

One of Lexel's big advertising points, IIRC, is that you can apply it to wet surfaces. So wetting your finger doesn't really help to the best of my recollection. I've used it for years, so I don't remember exact results for all methods I've tried.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:39 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:

That's 93ºC (200ºF)
The OP is in Canada so I posted the temp in ºC for them.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
That's 93ºC (200ºF)
The OP is in Canada so I posted the temp in ºC for them.
Gotcha.

See my other post..

Tags
crack