Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
WFD

ProFlex RV(GeoCel) or Silicone

Is there a way to know if whats on my trailer as far as sealant is concerned is the ProFlex(GeoCel) product or is it a silicone? We bought it new, so it's whatever came out of the factory. Its a 2014 Rockwood 5th wheel...I just noticed a couple spots where the factory sealant seems thin and there appears to be very small holes, so I want to apply a layer of sealant before any water finds its way in...I know that if its silicone, nothing will stick to it, and I want to apply some clear ProFlex or Dicor on the couple of spots.
Or do I need to not worry about whats there, since everyone seems to say the proflex or Dicor will stick to whatever it is.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
Plain Old Member

I seriously doubt Rockwood uses Proflex. I don't know of any manufacturers that do. Probably too expensive, and too good. I've used it for years, and practically go over every factory seam with the proflex once I get a new RV home. It does stick to just about anything, and is by far superior to anything I've ever experimented with. I wouldn't sweat what's on it. I'd be confident in going over it with Proflex. On the roof, I prefer covering all factory sealant with liquid roof, as ours was done at the dealer. This is my first RV with the liquid roof done like this, and it holds up way better than the dicor. Just clean really well and paint it on over the dicor. It's something our dealer does just because it lasts so much longer. If not comfortable with that, just dicor is fine. Just my 2 cents.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:40 AM   #3

Really? Wow!! I have never used any Geocell Products much less Proflex... I was always told that you had to remove all of the old silicone before putting anything on even silicone itself. This is good news because removing silicone is so painful!.... I read the post once again and noticed that it doesnn't actually say "silicone". I have a 2014 Palamino and there is some almond colored sealant around a few external side vents that are already showing signs of cracking or pulling away. Stangely it does not feel oily/rubbery like the typical old silicone I have worked with..it is kind of hard?

Can anybody confirm the Proflex over silicone comment from a durability perpective? Maybe I am missunderstanding the original question?
KevinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:06 PM   #4
Never Leak RV Roofing

That's all we use from the gutter rail down, Pro-Flex by Geocel.
rvroofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:37 PM   #5

I had a Newmar motorhome. They used Pro-flex on the vertical and horizontal seams on the fiberglass body parts where they meet. It held up for over 10 years before I replaced it last year again with Pro-flex. Good stuff and easy to work with. I don't know about covering the old silicone with the new Pro-flex. I would not put it over the old silicone, not worth the risk. I would pull off the old silicone and then add the Pro-flex.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote