Old 01-22-2014, 04:14 AM   #1
Putty tape question

I am wanting to go through and check/recaulk as needed and I am seeing along the corners and around the cargo doors the putty tape(assuming this is what it is) is bulging out. My questions are...

1) Do I remove this bulging putty and if so how far in.

2) should I caulk over this putty?

3) When cleaning in prep for re-caulk is regular alcohol good or what is the best to use?(not for me for the trailer, I am sure I will have my own brand of alcohol).

2004 V10 4X4 Excursion
2014 FR Wildwood 32BHDS
2013 Days Camped 14
simplyrwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:34 AM   #2
Professional Curmudgeon
That putty is butyl rubber.
On items that are easily removable, such as marker lights, I remove them and clean all the rubber off using rubbing alcohol, then replace using new butyl rubber.
On items that are not easily removable, such as roof vents, I clean off all the Dicor, leaving the butyl rubber under the flange, and then seal using Eternabond. A good wide roll of Eternabond will allow you to butt the edge of the tape up against the side of the vent and still extend out beyond the edge of the flange, creating a seamless seal that covers the screw heads as well.
Around items such as the TV antenna, I cut the butyl rubber flush with the flange edge the cover generously with Dicor.
2014 Coachmen Catalina 253RKS
2016 Keystone Summerland Mini 1750RD
2012 F250 Lariat 6.2L Crew Cab FX4
Reese dual cam SC/WDH
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote