Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2020, 12:26 AM   #1

PVC Roof for Travel Trailers

Looking for info on PVC Roofs.

We have decided on a Surveyor 267RBSS trailer. It comes with a PVC Roof. Its a new thing in roofs for TT. Grand Design is using PVC in some lower models at the moment also.

The maintenance is less. Durability is better. According to the marketing.

The appearance has got me worried. I have looked at about 4 Surveyor roofs with PVC roof and I am not impressed. The imprint of the plywood and seams are visible and wrinkles and small pebble size raised areas. A lot of them!

Surveyor said not to worry. Its warrantied. Yeah well, a substandard installation does not inspire me.

Any experience with PVC roof or opinions?

Thanks
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:03 AM   #2

Former roof consultant!

Interesting question.

Rubber is thicker because of low strength. It is multiple layers pressed together. Because, there are often holes in the sheet. American technology. Tire industry!

No real glue to bind it. Relies on contact cement to hold essentially.

Single sheet plastic roofs was a European development. Thinner material higher strength. Generally chemically or heat welded pieces together. PVC and others. Comes in variety of thicknesses.

Kind of six of one a half dozen of the other. If good material, installed by trained personnel either can be swell. Or not. Thicker plastic costs more than rubber.

Roof 101. Roof leaks are a rarity. It’s the joints that are the problem. A problem with rubber. Contact cement! Plastic is easier, a little, to damage.

More roofs come in rubber. Therefore, I don’t know what to say.

Buy from a company that seams to care about their products.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:29 AM   #3

I had one on open range RV. It held up well for 7 years I had it. Seemed to stay cleaner. Was slippery when wet. But they say it took a different roof caulk than rubber.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:14 AM   #4

PVC roofs are about the norm now for commercial buildings in SO CAL, not too many conventional hot mops. From my experience the product is a good one, all depends on the installer, most are heat fused.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:16 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for the info.
I appreciate it.
My wife really loves the floor plan. So I may have no choice lol

I am hoping we don't have to upgrade again in 2 years haha.

Have fun!
Old 01-17-2020, 02:01 PM   #6

Look into the FlexArmor Roof System for campers. It has a lifetime warranty. I've had it on both my MH's now and was the best money I've spent. Nothing can penetrate it and it never peels off. It's white and self cleaning. Look it up under RVROOF.Com.
RonPotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:12 PM   #7

Have one on an Open Range Light. Holding up well, easy to clean with dish soap, slippery when wet. Only issue with it is our insurance company gives a better rate for rubber roofs. Meeting in the next few weeks with our agent to see what can be done to change that. Most RVers and repair facilities are stating that it is better, lest likely to bubble and tear. Would not let that be the deal breaker on a new rig.
Cedar Creek Sams President

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:32 PM   #8

Open Range 2017. Love the PVC roof. Stays bright white and you can clean in a couple of minutes. 15 year warranty. Talked to Open Range rep today at Tampa rv show regarding this roof. They said there are different variants of PVC but there's are holding up well. There is a good YouTube video from Highland Ridge on the PVC roof. Worth watching.
Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonPotts View Post
Look into the FlexArmor Roof System for campers. It has a lifetime warranty. I've had it on both my MH's now and was the best money I've spent. Nothing can penetrate it and it never peels off. It's white and self cleaning. Look it up under RVROOF.Com.

Thanks for that.
I am assuming that is an aftermarket product you apply??
Old 01-18-2020, 02:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwood Danny View Post
Have one on an Open Range Light. Holding up well, easy to clean with dish soap, slippery when wet. Only issue with it is our insurance company gives a better rate for rubber roofs. Meeting in the next few weeks with our agent to see what can be done to change that. Most RVers and repair facilities are stating that it is better, lest likely to bubble and tear. Would not let that be the deal breaker on a new rig.

Thanks, I like that EASY to Clean!
Old 01-18-2020, 02:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack350 View Post
Open Range 2017. Love the PVC roof. Stays bright white and you can clean in a couple of minutes. 15 year warranty. Talked to Open Range rep today at Tampa rv show regarding this roof. They said there are different variants of PVC but there's are holding up well. There is a good YouTube video from Highland Ridge on the PVC roof. Worth watching.

Great info Thanks!
Old 01-23-2020, 08:12 AM   #12

I concur, RVRoof is great, but you can't do it yourself. The one in Green Cove Springs Florida did mine and they are great!
hthavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hthavana View Post
I concur, RVRoof is great, but you can't do it yourself. The one in Green Cove Springs Florida did mine and they are great!
Good to know. Seems everyone that has one likes it.

FYI we are not doing it ourselves. It comes standard on the Surveyor line of trailers.

We picked ours up yesterday. More on that in a separate post.

Tags
roo, roof, trailer, travel, travel trailer