Old 10-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #1

Re caulking difficulty??

How difficult is it to recaulk the top of these TT. I have a 07 surveryour and it is starting to crack and also it is leaking into the bathroom around the vent. There was a good puddle after we had 5" of rain in 3 days. Do i have to pull out the Fantastic fan and housing and caulk underneath it??
How difficult is this stuff to work with?? I am pretty handy at home so i thought i could do this myself. DO u also have to take the old caulk off before putting new stuff on? THanks for the help.. Very useful site.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
RV Newbie

Photos would help. You might not need to remove any caulk. If you have a rubber roof there, use care if removing any caulk. I found that gently lifting upward from the edge of caulk toward the edge of roof is the safest using a sharp edged tool. Slow but steady.

1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #3

Go get yourself several tubes of Dicor Lap seal and a plastic putty knife and you will be ready to go. Using the putty knife carefully scrap away and loose or damaged caulking. Follow it with a cleaning as necessary and then apply a liberal bead of the Dicor and you should be good to go.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:26 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

It is EXTREMELY easy to cut the rubber membrane, so go slow and be careful.

I found you do not need to remove the old caulk. Get a can of acetone from the home store and using rubber gloves (not nitride!) and a rag, wipe the old caulk down. Wait 10 minutes and caulk over the gaps in the old sealant. The acetone will make the old sealant sticky and you will get a good bond.

The places you MUST seal look like sunken "dashes" in the old caulk; any exposed screw heads; and openings in the rubber trim covers. If water is allowed to get into the trim that holds the roof material on or covers the wall seams, the screws can rust and allow that water to enter the campers walls.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:19 PM   #5

thanks for help

thanks for the advise guys.. I am wondering if I should just take it on to have it redone. I can do it myself but i am getting water in around my roof bathvent.. DO u think i should use the tape or remove old caulk and recaulk around this vent?
Old 10-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #6

If you are experiencing some minor cracks only, you probably don't need to remove the old caulk. Just clean real well with some mineral spirits, acetone,etc..... You can then caulk over the old.

Also check the bathroom vent for cracks, just in case that maybe the source of your leak.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by campfun View Post
thanks for the advise guys.. I am wondering if I should just take it on to have it redone. I can do it myself but i am getting water in around my roof bathvent.. DO u think i should use the tape or remove old caulk and recaulk around this vent?
I would not tape (Eternabond ONLY) over a leak. I would treat the old caulk with a acetone wipe down; wait till it gets sticky; then Dicor the slits that are leaking. Wait for the Dicor to set (about a week) then Eternabond the entire junction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	913th 3rd Annual Picnic and Camper photos 035.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	8335  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:08 AM   #8

I just redid my entire roof. The method Herk uses sounds the easiest and the best. There should be a strip of putty like material (Butyl tape might be the correct term) sandwiched in between the vent lip and the rubber membrane. I took my roof down to wood so naturally I replaced this. I would think if you just sealed it up good you would be set.
Just make sure that you use a sealant designed for RV's such as Dicor. The previous owner of my TT apparently used whatever they had on hand. All of the silicone sealant he used attracted dirt and crud, didn't adherere well, and was a PITA to get off. The sealant that was there from the factory came off like a dream. I used a rubber putty knife and a heat gun set to low (Don't melt your roof). I also used Dicor to reseal it. Self levelling on the roof was awesome, non self levelling on everything else. Not a hard job. just don't skimp on the sealant and try to get buy with a wal-mart tube.
That's my $.02
Old 10-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #9

thanks

thanks guys i think I am going to try this myself and save a couple dollars..
ErikH i am thinking of taking this all the way down to wood to make sure there is no major damage.. What did u put between your vent and rubber membrane again?? THanks for the Help..
Old 10-09-2011, 10:15 PM   #10

I believe that it is caulled Butyl Putty tape. I got it at the local RV shop. Essentially it squishes between the vent and the surface to make another barrier for moisture. I think this is the same stuff:
Dicor Corp - Butyl Tape 3/4"x30' - Installation Tools & Supplies - Camping World

The hardest part of getting down to the wood for me was the adhesive that they put to adhere the wood to the rubber. I used a putty knife and a ton of patience. If I was going to do the entire roof I would just have sanded it off. I think that is what they do in a big scale shop. I peeled back the rubber and then laid it back down. When you are ready to lay the rubber back down go to the local RV store if you have one and see if they have some extra rubber roof adhesive from a recent job. That will save you from buying a $75 gallon for just a small area.
I am not a professional, but I figure if something was built by humans I can always fix it, and sometimes make it better. If nothing else I will know how it works.