Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #1

Re sealing roof

Any tips on resealing a roof...specifically an antenna? Photos would be appreciated.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:03 AM   #2

Just did my roof. Take all old caulk off. You don't want to caulk over old and find down the road you have leak. Take your time clean all old stuff off.
I used dicor lap sealant self leveling and was amazed. I am no good and caulking and was amazed how easy it was. Just use enough. I used one tube to do one vent. And tv antenna and radio antenna. Its cheap insurance for no leak.
campfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:43 AM   #3

Here is a link to a video on You Tube about a product called Eternabond. I have not tried it yet but have a roll on order.

Here is where I ordered it from.
EternaBond WebSeal

Seeks easier than repatching every year.
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #4

Thanks for the video. Just what I needed.
Tom Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
Steve Jackson

Just throwing this out there. Has anyone thought of using the product FlexSeal to seal around the skylights and vents?
Old 10-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideout1961 View Post
Just throwing this out there. Has anyone thought of using the product FlexSeal to seal around the skylights and vents?
Must be very careful what is used on the rubber roofs. I've read that if the product has any petroleum in it don't use it. So you would have to look and see whats in the stuff (FlexSeal)

Bill
2020 GMC Duramax-3500HD 4x4 CrewCab
B&W Companion 25K Fifth Wheel Hitch
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
56 Gallon Titan Tank
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #7

Just before I left on my last trip, the city forced me to move my motor home across the street so they could complete street repairs. Unfortunately, I hadn't trimmed the tree across the street and ended up tearing the curbside edge of the rubber roof in two places and adding a 4' long gouge to the curbside slideout awning.

A roll of EternaBond was the solution to avoiding a long delay before starting the trip. A couple of 8" pieces fixed the roof tears and a 2' piece, split lengthwise, repaired the awning. A factory technician checked the roof repair a couple of weeks later and said that it looked like it was put on by a dealer and would last for years, a lot longer than needed before full repairs would be done.

The remainder of the roll of EternaBond is now part of the RV emergency supplies kit.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
Steve Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmall

Must be very careful what is used on the rubber roofs. I've read that if the product has any petroleum in it don't use it. So you would have to look and see whats in the stuff (FlexSeal)
Flex Seal Product Ingredients:

Calcium Carbonate
Xylene
Polybutene
Ethylbenzene
Toluene
Styrenealphamethylstyrene
resin
Titanium Dioxide
Old 10-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #9

http://www.rhinolinings.com/newseven...ration-product has anyone tried or used the NEW RHINO LINING RV ROOF?
Firefighter938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #10
Steve Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter938
http://www.rhinolinings.com/newseven...ration-product has anyone tried or used the NEW RHINO LINING RV ROOF?
Sounds interesting but it must be expensive. It costs a lot for a truck bed so an RV roof must really be up there
Old 10-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #11

Too old to be getting on the roof, so we have to take it in and get it maintained at the Tom Johnson place! I have many health problems, so have to leave it too the people who can access the top without killing themselves! LOl! We have to take her in for a leak under the sink anyway. I must use this extended warranty I paid for anyhow, so getting her looked over real good this time! We love camping but getting on top of the Micro-lite is not an option. Wish I could but hey when you can't you can't.
tkephart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #12

IMO, sealing penatrations is what lap sealant is for. That's why new RV's use lap sealant, not tape. You want the ability to remove the sealant to replace the vent/cap, etc, if needed. The Eternabond is great for damage to the rubber membrane itself...a permanent repair that you will never need/want to remove.

Keep in mind that using tape around a round flange won't look so good. Again, use the tape for straight repairs. Use Dicor lap sealant for resealing. If only touching up surface cracks, you can clean with rubbing alcohol (and some elbow grease), and just go right over the top of the crack.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote