Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2017, 08:22 AM   #1

Really disappointed...

A few days ago I went on the roof of my 2016 Wildwood 27RKSS to replace the plumbing vents with Cyclones. The galley was easy and very straight forward, the front over the bathroom was another story. As I was pulling the sealant (Dicor, I am guessing), I was starting to see plywood from the roof. I thought I had accidentally pulled the membrane off but I had been extremely careful. When I had it all cleared I seen where it looked like it had been cut up/butchered and then covered in sealant. I went to closest RV store and bought some rubber roof patch and an extra tube of Dicor. I patched and almost used a tube of Dicor covering my patch and extended a few inches part the patch. Now to wait for rain to make sure I did the job correctly. Anything that I should have done differently?

I thought about calling the dealer, but my last experience did not go so well. I had a leak near my slide that caused the trim board over the slide to expand and tore the laminate sheet over the trim. I had emailed Forest River and was told it would be covered. After waiting 2 months for an appointment at the dealer, I was denied the warranty work....a little back story. I had the slide opened for a couple days and the morning of my appointment it was pouring rain and very windy. I put the slide in and took it to the dealer. 2 weeks later, dealer says that claim was denied due to debris (from the storm) on the roof of the slide. I was told the decision was neglect on my part...ugh... Lesson learned, no matter what clean everything before going to the dealer. Still replaced the trim at a cost of $500 due to the cost of shipping a 12' board. So, I learned an expensive lesson on prepping TT before going to the dealer. I also added a slide topper to help with any issues in the future.

2017 Silverado 2500HD
2016 Wildwood 27 RKSS
sdsferraro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:12 AM   #2

$500 for a trim board regardless of the shipping charge is kind of absurd I'm assuming that included the labor two install it. the benefit of a slide topper is usually learned after the fact, I just installed to on my 26FKWS. You fixed the roof so it should be smooth sailing from here. I do understand your disappointment.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
$500 for a trim board regardless of the shipping charge is kind of absurd I'm assuming that included the labor to install it. the benefit of a slide topper is usually learned after the fact, I just installed to on my 26FKWS. You fixed the roof so it should be smooth sailing from here. I do understand your disappointment.
Yes that included the installation... Though it was not a good job at all. I came home and had to pull out the air gun and shoot some brads in it, but it's back in my possession. Didn't think it would be a 8 week process to replace the trim, a pass thru door and add the slide topper. They had the parts for 5 weeks before it was completed...

2017 Silverado 2500HD
2016 Wildwood 27 RKSS
Old 05-03-2017, 09:25 AM   #4
Site Team

Your experience with the vents is not unusual. Because of the demand on RV's today they are pushing them off the line at a record pace. This means that where you as an owner would make a nice round hole for a round vent, they may times use a razor knife and make an "X" cut and pull back and cut off the rubber roof for the vent then cover it with sealer. If you poke around inside the unit as well you will notice when holes need to be made in a wall for wiring or plumbing, it is usually done as a punched through hole. Although not what you would hope for it is not uncommon. I have seen similar procedures in new homes where holes for outlets are made with a hammer and later repaired with trim or dry wall compound.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsferraro View Post
A few days ago I went on the roof of my 2016 Wildwood 27RKSS to replace the plumbing vents with Cyclones. The galley was easy and very straight forward, the front over the bathroom was another story. As I was pulling the sealant (Dicor, I am guessing), I was starting to see plywood from the roof. I thought I had accidentally pulled the membrane off but I had been extremely careful. When I had it all cleared I seen where it looked like it had been cut up/butchered and then covered in sealant. I went to closest RV store and bought some rubber roof patch and an extra tube of Dicor. I patched and almost used a tube of Dicor covering my patch and extended a few inches part the patch. Now to wait for rain to make sure I did the job correctly. Anything that I should have done differently?

I thought about calling the dealer, but my last experience did not go so well. I had a leak near my slide that caused the trim board over the slide to expand and tore the laminate sheet over the trim. I had emailed Forest River and was told it would be covered. After waiting 2 months for an appointment at the dealer, I was denied the warranty work....a little back story. I had the slide opened for a couple days and the morning of my appointment it was pouring rain and very windy. I put the slide in and took it to the dealer. 2 weeks later, dealer says that claim was denied due to debris (from the storm) on the roof of the slide. I was told the decision was neglect on my part...ugh... Lesson learned, no matter what clean everything before going to the dealer. Still replaced the trim at a cost of $500 due to the cost of shipping a 12' board. So, I learned an expensive lesson on prepping TT before going to the dealer. I also added a slide topper to help with any issues in the future.
Toppers help a lot, but stuff can still get under there. I'd still make sure they are clean before pulling in the slide and especially before heading to the dealer.
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:29 AM   #6

Definitely learned that lesson!!!

2017 Silverado 2500HD
2016 Wildwood 27 RKSS