Old 10-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Good job and the important thing is no accident. It is gratifying to do it yourself and save a few bucks and know the job was done correctly and no short cuts taken.

Now, watch out for low clearance things that bend ladders.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
Site Team

Thanks all. Oldcoot, my "low clearance thing" was a railroad crossing arm. Yikes. A little scary but the only damage was the ladder top. It never touched the roof so it could have been worse. First trip out with the trailer!!!!! 3 miles from home on the return.

Hardest part of this job was getting the old sealant off. Temp this morning was a cool 54 degrees so a little time spent with the wife's hairdryer (wish I still needed a hair dryer) warmed it up and removal was a little easier.

Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Thanks all. Oldcoot, my "low clearance thing" was a railroad crossing arm. Yikes. A little scary but the only damage was the ladder top. It never touched the roof so it could have been worse. First trip out with the trailer!!!!! 3 miles from home on the return.

Hardest part of this job was getting the old sealant off. Temp this morning was a cool 54 degrees so a little time spent with the wife's hairdryer (wish I still needed a hair dryer) warmed it up and removal was a little easier.
You need to get faster on the take off or quicker on the brakes. Old age does funny things to us. Ask me how I know!!!
Old 10-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #14
Fulltime family RVer

Thanks, I was wondering how you only hit the ladder... Surely there are lots of other higher things in front of it.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Thanks, I was wondering how you only hit the ladder... Surely there are lots of other higher things in front of it.
Freak accident. I was stopped at a light, facing the crossing about 40 yds away. Light turned green I started toward the crossing. The crossing light was blocked from view by crepe myrtle trees. Never saw a light flashing. Just as truck reached the tracks I saw the arms jerk. Looked right, nothing. Looked left, a little RR maintenance vehicle was coming about 200 yards away. He was moving very slow. This was in the middle of town near our university, a garden/historic dist. I would have been on the tracks had I stopped. So I sped up. The arm was coming down and had it not been for the ladder sticking up it would have missed me totally. Nothing else was touched. The arm being angled up from the ground couldn't hit anything on top, but it could have slid down the roof edge and tore up the rubber roof. Very fortunate.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Freak accident. I was stopped at a light, facing the crossing about 40 yds away. Light turned green I started toward the crossing. The crossing light was blocked from view by crepe myrtle trees. Never saw a light flashing. Just as truck reached the tracks I saw the arms jerk. Looked right, nothing. Looked left, a little RR maintenance vehicle was coming about 200 yards away. He was moving very slow. This was in the middle of town near our university, a garden/historic dist. I would have been on the tracks had I stopped. So I sped up. The arm was coming down and had it not been for the ladder sticking up it would have missed me totally. Nothing else was touched. The arm being angled up from the ground couldn't hit anything on top, but it could have slid down the roof edge and tore up the rubber roof. Very fortunate.
Like I said, a few milli seconds faster reaction time and you'd have made it! Old age does that!
BTW, you were lucky. Could have torn up the awning also.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #17
Site Team

No. Awning wasn't in line. At the angle it was at it would have ridden down the edge of the roof if I'd been any slower. I didn't even know it had hit until I got home and saw the ladder. Had dealer check it all while installing slide toppers. Tech could not believe nothing else was damaged. God is good.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #18
Site Team

So, forest river sent me the wrong ladder first time. I now have a still wrapped, in the crate, rear ladder that Todd with Rockwood/Flagstaff says fits most rockwoods. Its black with 5 rungs. Model number MHL1893BLK. Will sell cheap.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #19
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
So, forest river sent me the wrong ladder first time. I now have a still wrapped, in the crate, rear ladder that Todd with Rockwood/Flagstaff says fits most rockwoods. Its black with 5 rungs. Model number MHL1893BLK. Will sell cheap.
Might be worth a post in the classified ads forum.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #20

For anyone that traffic this thread in the future, when I bent mine I called my dealer, they had s bunch that were take offs, I got mine for about $50.00!

2007 Chevy 2500HD 'Classic' with the Duramax engine.

Converting a 1956 GMC PD4501 Scenicruiser, ex Greyhound into a motor home.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote