Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2017, 10:41 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
We cleaned off the old cap graphics, then called the good car detailing/window film/graphics places and they came out to the house and installed the new ones in about 30 minutes for around $45. Perfect. No wrinkles, no bubbles, no stretching, no stress. On another rig we took the rig to them for custom graphics they created. Both were cheaper than we expected.
Bigger city?
here we have companies who have a - "If they didn't sell it, they won't install it" policy.

Herk if you can find a company like NMWildcat did that will install the new Graphics you are getting - that looks like the 6 beer choice of preference. 2 buddies 3 beer each and WATCH someone put them on for you as you tell them you want to watch so the next time you have to do this you will know how the professionals do it.

even a couple 100$ would be worth the cost of admission. but if you have no choice but to do it yourself...
Old 07-13-2017, 10:47 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
Bigger city?
here we have companies who have a - "If they didn't sell it, they won't install it" policy.
Depends on definition of big city 100k pop. We had no problem finding help. Sometimes the company won't do it, but an installer will do it after hours. Just have to ask.....
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:02 PM   #23

Quote:
The only tip I have for putting on vinyl graphics is hire a professional

But for taking off old, dry, cracked graphics I found the whizzy wheel, plastic razor blades, and acetone (for leftover glue) make the chore much easier. Did the entire front cap (2 small and 1very large graphics) in an afternoon. Just remember to wear a mask. The rubber dust from the whizzy wheel is nasty to ingest

http://remove-car-stickers.com

https://www.ebay.com/i/162453169664?...D1254640511837

So how well did the "whizzy wheel" work? My 2006 FR toy hauler's decals are dry and brittle however the glue seems to still be sticky as hell.

thanks
Old 08-06-2017, 08:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by opfor2 View Post
So how well did the "whizzy wheel" work? My 2006 FR toy hauler's decals are dry and brittle however the glue seems to still be sticky as hell.

thanks
I would use it again, especially on old graphics. It took a little time to get the large, dry, cracked decal off. But on the decals that were not so dry, they came off in an instant. It worked better than all the other methods I tried!! And for any glue that doesn't come off, acetone makes quick work of it.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:24 AM   #25

Quote:
I'm prepping my 35ft Southwind for new paint, so I've been working a couple hours a night removing decals for the past couple weeks.

Painting 1999 Southwind – 1999 Southwind 35S

Three methods seem to work for me, depending on the decals condition.

1) Warm it up and pull it off - Heat the area then gently pull off the decal. This is the #1 chouice because it usually pulls the glue off also.

2) Eraser - The older and more brittle the decal, the better this works. Its slow but also removes the glue.

3) heat and scrape, this works on decals that have been painted over. Heat the decal then use a blade under it to peel it up, This doesn't remove the glue so you need to go back with glue remover to get the glue off.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:35 AM   #26

Quote:
I would use it again, especially on old graphics. It took a little time to get the large, dry, cracked decal off. But on the decals that were not so dry, they came off in an instant. It worked better than all the other methods I tried!! And for any glue that doesn't come off, acetone makes quick work of it.
Did the "whizzy wheel" last for your entire project or did you have to use numerous? My toy haulers skin is aluminum and what does to do to the paint/coating?
Old 08-07-2017, 10:02 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by opfor2 View Post
Did the "whizzy wheel" last for your entire project or did you have to use numerous? My toy haulers skin is aluminum and what does to do to the paint/coating?
I used about 3/4 of of one whizzy wheel to do the entire front cap. They were actually made to use on paint. There are numerous videos online showing them in action. It did not mar or scuff my gelcoat at all. A product that actually performed as advertised.