Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #1

Repairing antenna pass-through. Dicor on outside but is it putty under the fitting?

Antenna started loosing channels and have traced it down to water in the pass-through connection on the roof. Got that taken care of and ready to seal it up again. Outside was sealed with Dicor but under the pass-through fitting it looks like plumbers putty. Gray and still malleable unlike the white of the Dicor. Is that what that is? Or safe to use plumbers putty under the fitting?
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:11 PM   #2

I know I'm talking about two different but similar items here: Recently I had water dripping from underneath a cabinet in my unit. I traced this back to the pass-through connection for my radio, not the TV. The pass-through connector was in the top of the cabinet. That's why I say this is similar. The pass-through on the roof had a grey putty around it that had hardened and cracked, thus the water leak. Being as the radio didn't work I just removed all of the radio components and gained a bit more storage space. I sealed the former hole for the pass-through usingn Eterna-Bond tape and Dicor and all has been well with that. While I was up there I inspected the TV antennae mount and the antennae pass-through as the antennae wire did not use the pass-through on the antennae mount. There were so many cracks in the old Dicor that I decided to remove all of the old stuf, remove the antennae mount and the antennae wire pass-through. I'm glad I did as there seemed to be traces of water intrusion under the antennae mount. About half of the screws that held the antennae mount to the unit were in rotted wood so that confirmed a water leak even more. I cleaned up everything, and put some epoxy for wood into all the former mounting screw holes. After the epoxy set up I started back up with the antennae mount. I actually put a bead of Dicor onto the rubber roofing material of the camper before mounting the antennae base. The new stainless steel wood screws went into the hardened epoxy rather well. I sealed the antennae base with Eterna-Bond tape first making sure the tape went down smooth then applied Dicor over each side seam of the tape. I filled the hole in the roof of the camper where the TV antennae wire went through with Dicor prior to putting the pass-through connector back into the hole then applied a liberal amount of Dicor onto the pass-through connector on top of the camper. This was all applied during one of our hot days here in S. Ga. and I believe that this helped the tape bond better and the Dicor flow better. All has been well so far with no leaks. I would NOT use plumbers putty on an RV rubber roof as I would have no idea IF there would some type of reaction between the plumber's putty and the roof material.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:05 AM   #3
Campfire Master

Buytl Tape. Can be found in various places. Camping World

John
AVid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, repair