Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #1

Rockwood - roof edge sliced by tree branch

I am relatively new and seek advice. We bought a 26-foot FR Rockwood Windjammer last year and have toured about 6000 miles.

I had taken our trailer to the Camping World service center in Ft Worth to have them wash and treat the rubber roof. Evidently I brushed against some small oak tree branches on the way to the service center.

The technicians at the service center showed me the rubber roof was sliced at the front edge on the driver's side. The very front edge of the rubber roof - just a fraction of an inch above the rain gutter channel - is sliced open about 18 inches, the roof decking looks good, no damage. I sealed it temporarily with a length of weatherproof duct tape. I guess we will need to replace the rubber roof.

Opinions or experiences about allowing a general RV repair shop, like the Ft Worth Camping World service center, to replace the rubber roof instead of taking the TT to the local Forest River dealer repair shop? Camping World repair shop said they can complete the job within a week or two. The local Forest River repair shop said they can complete it by August - maybe. Are there actual risks by using a general RV repair shop, like Ft Worth Camping World, rather than the Forest River dealer repai shop?
RFKosar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Remove the duct tape, clean the area with acetone and buy some ETERNABOND tape and repair it. No need to replace the roof.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Remove the duct tape, clean the area with acetone and buy some ETERNABOND tape and repair it. No need to replace the roof.
X2...easy fix.ETERNABOND TAPE. it will cost you about $50 for a small roll. i would at least get the 4" wide roll.or for added protection ,get a 50" roll and repair your tear and also put it over all the caulk around all the roof vents and skylite.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #4

Can you post a picture? I would do a repair instead of replacing roof. Caulking of slice first and then eternabond tape over.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
Can you post a picture? I would do a repair instead of replacing roof. Caulking of slice first and then eternabond tape over.
Post a pic if you can like fonzie suggested. Eternabond tape can do wonders for a pratical repair, but the edge area you describe may need some extra prep.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #6

Thanks for your replies! Great to learn from experienced RVers. Here are a few photos. Damaged edge is about 25 inches length. Last photo shows temporary repair using exterior duct tape - it extends beyond damageed area about 8 inches on each side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV roof2.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	33124   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV roof3.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	33125   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV roof5.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	33126  
Old 06-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

I would remove (or at least pull away) the metal retaining strip at least a foot on either side of the tear so the Eternabond tape will be held down my the metal trim on the short edge.

Make sure you use plenty of Eternabond primer (heavy application) and wait for it to get tacky before using the tape. Seal with DICOR or Lucas Self leveling Lap Sealant.

A permanent repair will be fairly inexpensive, but you must do it right.

EternaBond | RoofSeal White, EPDM RV and Roof Repair Tape

EternaPrime Spray Primer, 14 oz. Can

Lucas 6600SL, Universal Sealant, Self Leveling, WHITE, 10.1 Oz

For vertical surfaces a no run formulation might be better.

Sonolastic Clear 25, Clear Structural Adhesive Sealant, 10.2 Oz (1)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKosar View Post
Thanks for your replies! Great to learn from experienced RVers. Here are a few photos. Damaged edge is about 25 inches length. Last photo shows temporary repair using exterior duct tape - it extends beyond damageed area about 8 inches on each side.
If that happened to my Windjammer, I would be talking with my insurance agent to see if this is covered.

If not, assessing my personal skills, I'd be looking for a repair center (don't know about your Camping World location) to either make the repair or replace the roof (like you mentioned at first). I've only done some minor repairs and lap sealant.

In either case, I'd be motivated to have this fixed sooner than later to avoid water damage. This is me, not you.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #9

Funny as in fishing 3" soon becomes 6", in this case 18" becomes 36" of contact damage. Because that edge secures the entire width of the rubber, with little cement assisting, I'd be looking to renew the roof under insurance. It wasn't done on purpose, they should cover for human error, that's what it is.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Funny as in fishing 3" soon becomes 6", in this case 18" becomes 36" of contact damage. Because that edge secures the entire width of the rubber, with little cement assisting, I'd be looking to renew the roof under insurance. It wasn't done on purpose, they should cover for human error, that's what it is.
Ditto that!!!
Old 06-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #11

VinceU,

Funny you should mention this! The tech at the service center said there was about an 18 inch slit at the front edge. That 18 inch number seems to have embedded itself in my conscience. Until I actually put a measuring tape next to the damage, it only slowly dawned on me that the tear is really more than 26 inches and there is a bit more damage to the left of the tear (as seen facing the area). So as you say, nearly the entire left edge of the roof edge is damaged - quite a bit more than I (faultily) visualized.

Herk7769 motivated me about doing the repair myself (thanks, Herk), so I ordered the materials!

But when I mounted my ladder to investigate how to pull back the metal trim from the body in order to tuck the Eternabond tape under the edge of the metal trim, I suddenly realized that I have practically no idea how to do this. While I would prefer to be a competent trailer mechanic, honestly, I'm only a rank newbie and don't want to screw up the rubber roof.

The insurance adjuster will see the roof damage on Monday. I would rather it be repaired properly - which likely means a new rubber top. Cough, gag, pfffffttt!
Old 06-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #12

got a do what you got a do....do what makes you feel is best for you....happy camping
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

It is not as hard as it looks.
There is a rubber "cap" that covers the screws.
Squeeze the rubber together "sideways" to pull the rubber strip away from the metal trim clamp strip.

Under the rubber seal are the screws. They may or may not be Dicor'ed in place. (They should be). Use a #2 square bit screwdriver to remove the screws and carefully pull the metal away from the roof material.

Put a line of Dicor under the lips of the tear and press the rubber roof fabric down with a roller (like a wall paper seam roller). Wipe up excess with spirits on a disposable rag.

Spray the membrane with Eternabond Primer and wait a minute for the membrane to get tacky. Starting at one end of the tear (overlapping the start of the tear by a couple of inches) with a pre-cut length of EB tape, peal off the clear bottom tape and carefully unroll the EB tape covering the tear. Make sure the tape will go under and be retained by the metal trim strip.

Press down as you go and make an effort to keep it straight and without air pockets. Use the wall paper roller on the flat areas and use heavy pressure on the edges.

Replace the trim strip, making sure the entire lower edge of the eternabond is under the trim strip. Dip the screws in Dicor lap sealant and snug them up. They are going into plastic and thin plywood so don't overdo the tightening or you will strip them out.

Cover the screw heads with a dab of Dicor and snap the rubber cover back into the track. Remember you don't need to take the whole thing down! Just enough in both directions to pull away the trim to press the EB tape under it with a plastic putty knife.

Herk
Old 06-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Obviously if your insurance will pay for a new roof, I would be going in that direction; PROVIDED you have accident forgiveness and don't plan on making any other claims for 3 years.

Many folks do not have accident forgiveness and your rates will go up for 3 years. If you have already burned your accident forgiveness, any payout on your collision insurance will raise your rates. You should ask these questions of your carrier before you admit to having had a mishap. NEVER lie to them.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #15

Thanks to everyone for sharing your experience and know-how. The insurance adjuster inspected the damage to the rubber roof. I suggested that i would be satisfied with a patch repair using Eternabond roof repair tape if from the insurance company's experience that would be a satisfactory long-term repair. (With our $1000 deductible, we sure would prefer paying a few hundred $$ rather than the entire $1000 deductable.)

He said that their experience is they would require the entire rubber roof membrane be replaced rather than attempt a patch repair. He said they have had problems making a permanent patch repair because the rip/damage to the membrane is at the very front edge of the roof line which has sharp edged corner rather than a smooth radius which would permit better adhesion.

Bottom line is the insurance folks want us to replace the entire rubber membrane to ensure long-term roof integrity. So on Monday we will drop off our TT at a nearby full service RV shop (with all good reviews for roof repairs) for a new rubber roof. We will cough up the $1000 deductible and have a like-new roof.

Oh well, my bad. My newbie driving/maneuvering problems are proving to be a costly teacher!
Old 06-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #16

Good luck with the replacement, I think you will be happy down the road knowing you don't have a potential leak.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKosar View Post
Thanks to everyone for sharing your experience and know-how. The insurance adjuster inspected the damage to the rubber roof. I suggested that i would be satisfied with a patch repair using Eternabond roof repair tape if from the insurance company's experience that would be a satisfactory long-term repair. (With our $1000 deductible, we sure would prefer paying a few hundred $$ rather than the entire $1000 deductable.)

He said that their experience is they would require the entire rubber roof membrane be replaced rather than attempt a patch repair. He said they have had problems making a permanent patch repair because the rip/damage to the membrane is at the very front edge of the roof line which has sharp edged corner rather than a smooth radius which would permit better adhesion.

Bottom line is the insurance folks want us to replace the entire rubber membrane to ensure long-term roof integrity. So on Monday we will drop off our TT at a nearby full service RV shop (with all good reviews for roof repairs) for a new rubber roof. We will cough up the $1000 deductible and have a like-new roof.

Oh well, my bad. My newbie driving/maneuvering problems are proving to be a costly teacher!
Your deduc may be cheap compared to an entire sidewall renewal in 2 years due to water delamination!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Your deduc may be cheap compared to an entire sidewall renewal in 2 years due to water delamination!
Amen, Brother...
Old 06-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #19

What herk7769 said !
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #20
MI Camperz

I think you have a good insurance company that is proactively suggesting they spend more money for your well being. Can you share what company?