Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #1

Roof Access

Soo.. I'm wondering. My RV, like most, have a ladder on the back to access the roof. I figure this is GREAT, if I wanted to go somewhere like a NASCAR race or some other event, I'll just take some chairs up there and have the best seat in the house. I see this all the time on televised sporting events, 5 -6 guys up on the roof of their RV hoot'n and holler'n.

Well, I was reading in my manual that pretty much anything I do on the roof, including and sort of storage, will void my roof's warranty. This doesn't really apply to me because my RV is completely out of warranty but it does speak to the effects of being on the roof.

So I asked my mechanic about it. Her response was, "those people must not care about their roof. The are designed for one person to get up there, clean or repair something and get back down...I wouldn't be bringing chairs and a cooler of beer up there."

Soo... What's the deal? Are all these guys at NASCAR ruining their roofs by having a party up there or is it not that big of a deal?

Brian
Prepilot_3ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #2

Unless you have a skydeck RV http://www.gizmag.com/go/3347/ . I would not set up camp on my roof. I think they do make tow behind trailers/tow haulers that that an area of the roof designed for that purpose, not 100% sure but I think I saw one in the Trailer Life magazine some time ago
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I've seen them move plywood up there and umbrellas etc. I'm a Nascar Fan but you'd never catch me up there along with a bunch of other people. More to lose than gain for me. Plus one too many beers and all the little things to trip over. I'm far from skinny but that added surround won't make me bounce.
I only climb up there to check my seals around the roof penetrations and clean the roof. It's one trip and I'm up there for over 1-1/2 hours. I do it at the beginning of each season and just before the end.
To each his own just not me!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #4

I don't see how it can be any good for the roof to have chairs, people, etc walking around on it. I don't even go up on my roof to check the seals. I check the seals and do as much as I can from the ladder without walking around on the roof.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #5

Hmmm.. Sounds like good advice. I think I'll stay off the roof. I'm not really a NASCAR fan either, it was just an example. I don't mind getting up there and cleaning it. Every other trip or so I get up there to check the slide covers, awning, etc...

Thanks everyone.

Brian
Old 04-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #6

I'm not partying on my roof .........Maybe those units are rentals ????
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:06 PM   #7

As a paramedic... I would encourage beer coolers on the roofs of RV's without retaining fences... it great job security for me and my coharts nationwide... I also encourage base jumping, texting while driving and the old saying... "hold my beer, watch this!"
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrotor View Post
as a paramedic... I would encourage beer coolers on the roofs of rv's without retaining fences... It great job security for me and my coharts nationwide... I also encourage base jumping, texting while driving and the old saying... "hold my beer, watch this!"
haahaha!!!