Old 11-14-2017, 01:35 PM   #1
Don

Roof Antenna

Good Afternoon All
I own a 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th wheel. Recently I had my roof replaced. Glad to say that Forest River covered it. Didn't cost me a dime. My TV roof antenna is about 5 or 6 inches off the roof with it in the full down position. I don't know it it was like that before I had the roof replaced. Is it supposed to be off the roof all the time in the full down position? Any input is appreciated. Have learned so much from you folks and read the forum everyday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	321.8 KB
ID:	156425  

Sandy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:39 PM   #2

When I dropped mine down for travel it would fold all the way down and lay flat on the roof.

Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:47 PM   #3

It's been too long since I worked on one of those... If memory doesn't totally fail me... it is prolly turned wrong. Look or have someone look as it is raised/lowered and see if there is binding. I think they are held together with pins and e-clips... may just need to swap the head or the legs around(rotate 180 degrees).
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:25 PM   #4
Canadian Member

Here is a link to a maintenance video for the Wingard batwing style antenna. It may help you understand how it’s supposed to work and figure out what’s wrong.

https://youtu.be/KATPS5bU0nY
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:38 PM   #5
Site Team

It should lower more than that, Many of these have small rubber bumpers on the roof to protect the roof from damage when the antenna moves during towing. It is possible that a bumper is installed incorrectly or as mentioned, the antenna has not been rotated to the parked position prior to lowering it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:49 PM   #6
PPST Wannabe

To answer yor question....in the travel position the antennae should be flat on the roof. You should hear it touch the roof when you retract it.

Have a look up on the roof, and see if the antennae sits better if it is turned 180 degrees. They should be resting lengthwise from to back on your rooftop

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:09 PM   #7

Mine did that, while it was up and I rotated it to locate a station. when lowering it to move, I did not get the pointers lined up exactly so when I lowered it I heard it hit but it was hitting the cradle edge. When I was on the roof I noticed it. Had to raise it part way and align the arrows then lower it into the cradle. I think it was only off one notch. I would check that first, you can do that without getting on the roof. If that isn't what happened,you will have to get on the roof.
shortkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:58 PM   #8

Does not look right to me, may have put pivot pins in wrong.
merlinhomeauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:55 PM   #9
Don

Roof Antenna

Thanks everyone for your kind responses. All were valid problem areas that could have been the cause. Shortkid had the correct answer though. I had not properly lined up the notches on the winding mechanism. I wound it up and aligned the large points and the antenna came down all the way to the roof. Again thanks to each and everyone of you for your quick and kind responses. Another problem solved by the RV community. I and my wife wish you all a very happy Thanksgiving. We won't be out in our RV but all my kids and grandkids will be home. May God bless you all and keep you and your families.
In Christ
Sandy
Sandy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #10

Thanks for getting back and letting us know that you were able to correct the problem and what caused it. Too many times people share good information with others and then they never give the outcome.

shortkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, roo, roof