Old 10-08-2018, 08:02 PM   #1

Roof argument with tree limb - What would you do?

So, parents help their kids. It's just what we do. When kid borrows Cedar Creek 36RE fifth wheel and drives into state campground, trees are all around, specifically one with a low hanging stiff limb over the dirt road. This picture is the result of that lack of experience with hauling such a large unit like these.

This camper is a 2010. Roof is approaching 9 years old. Google searches says they last for 10 years. This one definitely wasn't taken care of by the first owner. Mold stains on entire surface. So it's approaching it's end of life.

Again, Google searches results in roof replacement costs (by dealers) range between $10,000 - $12,000. My insurance guy says that I have coverage, so I should obtain an estimate. But I have a $500 deductible. Also, there's the real risk of the camper being totaled instead of said insurance company forking out big dollars for roof replacement. And, if I do file the claim, resets my "claim free period" to zero, so rates will climb for sure. (so $500 ++ for multiple years). Also, aside from this new damage, the camper isn't exactly in pristine shape. I would rate her fair to good given her age and "experiences".

I don't want kid to be out big money - stuff happens. Nor does my own banker! (deductible ++). So I'm thinking that I can do a quality fix myself with the right materials without replacing the whole enchilada.

What would you do? Looking for opinions, thoughts, criticism.
Attached Images

kshall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:22 PM   #2
Jayhawker

I would do a self fix. A piece of the same type of roofing material, some adhesive and a roll of Eternabond. The sky light might have to be removed since the tear is so close to the sky light flange. Hope things workout for you!

Jayhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:24 PM   #3

Definitely need better pics. Many pics.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:36 PM   #4

I'll grab more pics over next few days, after the rain stops.
kshall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:40 PM   #5

Get some estimates and see what your options are with the insurance company.
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:55 PM   #6
D W

For the life of me I can never understand why people will pay out thousands of dollars over the years for insurance to cover a loss, but then they don't want to use the insurance because their rates will go up. Why even have insurance then? Makes no sense, no sense at all.

"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #7

I'd have it professionally repaired. It it's totaled, it's totaled. You'll never trust the roof if you do it yourself (unless you have more skills than the rest of us).

Same with the insurance. I'd be shopping other companies if my rate got raised for using the policy.

You've seen the problem with inexperience. I have several times taken our trailer over 300 miles, parked it, and driven home without the trailer. My wife and daughter would arrive and camp for a week or more, then summon me to recover the trailer.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:41 PM   #8

You can get an RV Armor or similar brand for a trailer your size for under 9 grand. Lifetime warranty.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:47 PM   #9
Canadian Member

Did it damage the roof structure (i.e. wood and/or metal) or did it just rip the white roof membrane? If it just ripped the membrane, I’d do what Jayhawker suggests. My 2010 Rockwood Roo had a TPO membrane roof (as opposed to EPDM rubber) so Cedar Creek may have used the same material.

Of course, if you want to have the mould-spotted membrane entirely replaced you can get an estimate to do whatever repair you prefer.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #10

My CC29RE....8 months old ...found out the hard way that it would not fit under an overpass.......Replaced 34 feet under insurance claim $8,000.00...no increase in premium!!!!!that was 4 years ago....J

Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof