Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2018, 08:02 PM   #1

Roof argument with tree limb - What would you do?

So, parents help their kids. It's just what we do. When kid borrows Cedar Creek 36RE fifth wheel and drives into state campground, trees are all around, specifically one with a low hanging stiff limb over the dirt road. This picture is the result of that lack of experience with hauling such a large unit like these.

This camper is a 2010. Roof is approaching 9 years old. Google searches says they last for 10 years. This one definitely wasn't taken care of by the first owner. Mold stains on entire surface. So it's approaching it's end of life.

Again, Google searches results in roof replacement costs (by dealers) range between $10,000 - $12,000. My insurance guy says that I have coverage, so I should obtain an estimate. But I have a $500 deductible. Also, there's the real risk of the camper being totaled instead of said insurance company forking out big dollars for roof replacement. And, if I do file the claim, resets my "claim free period" to zero, so rates will climb for sure. (so $500 ++ for multiple years). Also, aside from this new damage, the camper isn't exactly in pristine shape. I would rate her fair to good given her age and "experiences".

I don't want kid to be out big money - stuff happens. Nor does my own banker! (deductible ++). So I'm thinking that I can do a quality fix myself with the right materials without replacing the whole enchilada.

What would you do? Looking for opinions, thoughts, criticism.
Attached Images

kshall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:22 PM   #2
Jayhawker

I would do a self fix. A piece of the same type of roofing material, some adhesive and a roll of Eternabond. The sky light might have to be removed since the tear is so close to the sky light flange. Hope things workout for you!
Jayhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:24 PM   #3

Definitely need better pics. Many pics.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:36 PM   #4

I'll grab more pics over next few days, after the rain stops.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:40 PM   #5

Get some estimates and see what your options are with the insurance company.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:55 PM   #6
D W

For the life of me I can never understand why people will pay out thousands of dollars over the years for insurance to cover a loss, but then they don't want to use the insurance because their rates will go up. Why even have insurance then? Makes no sense, no sense at all.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #7

I'd have it professionally repaired. It it's totaled, it's totaled. You'll never trust the roof if you do it yourself (unless you have more skills than the rest of us).

Same with the insurance. I'd be shopping other companies if my rate got raised for using the policy.

You've seen the problem with inexperience. I have several times taken our trailer over 300 miles, parked it, and driven home without the trailer. My wife and daughter would arrive and camp for a week or more, then summon me to recover the trailer.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:41 PM   #8

You can get an RV Armor or similar brand for a trailer your size for under 9 grand. Lifetime warranty.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:47 PM   #9
Canadian Member

Did it damage the roof structure (i.e. wood and/or metal) or did it just rip the white roof membrane? If it just ripped the membrane, I’d do what Jayhawker suggests. My 2010 Rockwood Roo had a TPO membrane roof (as opposed to EPDM rubber) so Cedar Creek may have used the same material.

Of course, if you want to have the mould-spotted membrane entirely replaced you can get an estimate to do whatever repair you prefer.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #10

My CC29RE....8 months old ...found out the hard way that it would not fit under an overpass.......Replaced 34 feet under insurance claim $8,000.00...no increase in premium!!!!!that was 4 years ago....J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:20 PM   #11

Talking Roof repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshall1 View Post
So, parents help their kids. It's just what we do. When kid borrows Cedar Creek 36RE fifth wheel and drives into state campground, trees are all around, specifically one with a low hanging stiff limb over the dirt road. This picture is the result of that lack of experience with hauling such a large unit like these.

This camper is a 2010. Roof is approaching 9 years old. Google searches says they last for 10 years. This one definitely wasn't taken care of by the first owner. Mold stains on entire surface. So it's approaching it's end of life.

Again, Google searches results in roof replacement costs (by dealers) range between $10,000 - $12,000. My insurance guy says that I have coverage, so I should obtain an estimate. But I have a $500 deductible. Also, there's the real risk of the camper being totaled instead of said insurance company forking out big dollars for roof replacement. And, if I do file the claim, resets my "claim free period" to zero, so rates will climb for sure. (so $500 ++ for multiple years). Also, aside from this new damage, the camper isn't exactly in pristine shape. I would rate her fair to good given her age and "experiences".

I don't want kid to be out big money - stuff happens. Nor does my own banker! (deductible ++). So I'm thinking that I can do a quality fix myself with the right materials without replacing the whole enchilada.

What would you do? Looking for opinions, thoughts, criticism.
Large enough section of fiberglass material to accommodate new bend area of roof. Remove all seams in affected area. Install new seams at upper area of roof. and re-seam at lower side where roof meets wall. Seal as you would all seams as original. You will need backing material, (wood or aluminum) at new seam areas to fasten new roof segment securely before sealing. With a little knowledge of fiberglass sheathing repair, or "boat repair" a few bucks will go a long way to a permanent roof. Really should have supplied more pics though, for more precise advise. Good Luck.
2corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
I'd have it professionally repaired. It it's totaled, it's totaled. You'll never trust the roof if you do it yourself (unless you have more skills than the rest of us).

Same with the insurance. I'd be shopping other companies if my rate got raised for using the policy.

You've seen the problem with inexperience. I have several times taken our trailer over 300 miles, parked it, and driven home without the trailer. My wife and daughter would arrive and camp for a week or more, then summon me to recover the trailer.

-- Chuck
Definitely leaning towards the pros doing the work. But I think the insurance company will total the trailer. I'll keep all posted.

I'm not afraid to file a claim. Had to 3 years ago when a different son totaled my car. (I know, don't say it!) And two years ago for roof replace due to hail.

All the comments and ideas are welcomed.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:56 PM   #13

Look at this for redoing roof.
https://gaco.com/product-details/gac...-roof-coating/

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:26 PM   #14

Ok, you are one brave dad for letting your kids anywhere near your car and RV!

That being said, would it be the end of the world if you filed an insurance claim and the coach was totaled? I am going to assume the coach is paid for and if so, you may not want an RV payment, but would you have to take out a loan to replace the coach or could you replace the coach with the pay off from the insurance company?

I had a TT totaled by my insurance company due to mold from a leak (previous owner, not me) and I actually made out quite well from the pay off. Hated to see that TT go but am happy with the one I have now. And my rates did not go up. Actually, I had 2 total losses on TTs 2 years apart from the same insurance company and my rates did not go up.

Out of curiosity, what do the kids say to you when they return an obviously damaged item of yours?!
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:21 AM   #15

Just experience a similar experience due to low hanging branch resulting from a real nasty wind storm. A $500 deductible on a $7100 repair bill and I will be picking up the completed repair next week.

Forest River - Rockwood
2018 Ultra Lite 2040WS 5th wh
2020 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Curt Hitch - 392 rear end
sasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:31 AM   #16

Do you have replacement coverage? Either way let insurance take care of it. You paid the premium use the insurance. Rate increase will be minimal!!

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:33 AM   #17

Not getting into the insurance argument, but if you do decide to repair it be sure to check the rest of the roof membrane. Often the membrane delaminates from the sub deck causing it to "Tent" when going down the road. I ripped my roof much like yours, and discovered the whole thing was loose on the front third of my trailer. Repair of the rip can be easy to fix with glues and tape from PPL motorhomes. (Search you tube for videos on the subject), but the delamination can be another ball game. I was able to fix mine, but took some careful planning. With the age of your rig, be sure to check the entire roof before making a decision with the insurance company. I disagree that the roof is only supposed to last 10 years. Black marks, and "chalking" can all be taken care of with the many cleaners and chemicals out there specific to that purpose. Have not had experience with the paint over stuff some have suggested here but? YouTube is your friend.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:22 PM   #18

Thanks for everyone's comments, suggestions, and criticisms. Yeah. Maybe I'm an enabler of my adult children. But selfishness is not the dad I wish to be. Nobody got hurt and "stuff" can be replaced.

So insurance guy was called and claim submitted. I'll be watching for delamination and other things that shouldn't be overlooked by whomever repairs this rig. Unless it's totaled - which would result in other decisions to be made.

Will post an update once I know more. Thanks again to my fellow travelers. Oh, and I'll grab more pics to post tomorrow.

Tags
roo, roof