Old 09-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
Roof caulking

I'm cleaning and resealing the roof on the 04 Sandpiper and have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer. The skylight over the shower doesn't have the self leveling caulk around it, it's some sort of tape that's peeling up and cracking. Should I pull this stuff up and reseal it with self leveling caulk? On the other items, roof vents, tv antenna, etc. that aren't leaking but have caulk that is soft and pulling up in a few places, should I leave them alone, just caulk over the bad spots or pull up the old and reseal them?

Grounded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
I wonder if that tape that is peeling and cracking is eternabond? Is it white with a gray layer underneath?
As for the other caulking, I would remove it all and use new self-leveling caulking on everything. No sense putting new over the old deteriorated stuff.

crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
I am sure someone with a great deal of experience re-sealing RV roofs will be along shortly but I thought I would throw my two cents in anyway. In my line of work (aircraft mechanic) we never seal over top of old sealant, it is just a bad practice and will leak again. Thankfully the sealant used on the roofs of RV's is nowhere near as hard to remove as it is from an aircraft fuel cell.
I say start fresh, clean the area well, remove all existing sealant except in an area where it would require disassembly, such as faying surfaces or sandwiched/laminated assemblies or joints. Clean the area well with whatever cleaner is approved for your surface(s) and if available, I would use some sort of adhesion promoter.
I know I have read a lot about the sealing tape that is popular (eternabond I think?) and they talk about putting it over top of old sealant.

This is only what I would/will do, your results may vary.....
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
Thanks guys.
2004 Sandpiper 32RLSS
1999 F350
Grounded is offline   Reply With Quote