Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #1

Roof caulking pics inside need opinion

I was up looking at the roof on my 2009 Salem. I'm not sure if I should leave well enough alone for this year or replace this stuff. Here are a few pics below as you can see some cracks are just beginning on the surface. I have no leaks and like to keep it that way. Any advice is welcome and appreciated.

Skylight dome over tub

Antenna

other side of skylight dome

Bathroom fan cover
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #2

It looks like your caulking is okay to me. This is only on the top surface. If you go inside the compound I am sure that there is nothing wrong. Keep an eye on it and if it is really start to show deeper cracking after that you can take action.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:19 PM   #3

I agree, looks to be surface cracking. Those cracks will continue to grow so I would keep an eye on them. Could go six months even twelve, hard to say once moisture and heat work those cracks.

2006 T23FBL Wildwood Lite
2009 Ford E-350 Super Duty 5.4L 3.73
kevinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #4

I just installed a wingman on my Winegaard antenna. The caulking around the base looks much deeper then what is pictured above. What is recommended to reseal these deeper cracks? Do I need any prep work to insure a good stick? I would include a picture but the camera battery is dead. The cracks appear to be right where the Wineman antenna base meets the roof. The caulking that is spread over the top of the base and what is on the roof membrane surface looks ok. But I can see the lateral metal antenna base through the crack.

Just want to take care of this before I have problems.
kjoh75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

I use Dicor or Aplha self leveling sealant in a caulking gun.

The photo of the radio antenna needs immediate attention IMO.
That dip near the base will be leaking before long.

RV/Trailer Dicor Rubber Roof Self Leveling Lap Sealant on eBay!

You should inspect the roof every 90 days with a Dicor loaded caulking gun in your hand. Anything that even looks suspicious should be hit.
By the time you notice water inside you are screwed.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

[QUOTE=kjoh75;194402]Do I need any prep work to insure a good stick?
[QUOTE]

No, Prep is not required; the Dicor is pretty sticky.

A wipe with an Acetone dampened rag will soften really dry sealant and can help ensure a great bond, but BE CAREFUL. Wear RUBBER gloves (nitrile or latex will melt). If you kick open an open can you will be buying a new roof.

If have access to Eternabond Primer spray you could use that. But if you have that; I would finish the job with Eternabond seam sealer.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #7

New to Forum....
Our new, never used FR RV leaked the first time we took it out of the driveway.....water poured down from the overhead bed onto the driver and passenger seats.....got soaked....it is at the dealer and they found the leak on the right front corner....we only picked up the RV on the 3rd of April of this year......what a waste.....it is over 30 days, otherwise I would say take it back.....my worry is down the road will we have bubbling,on the front outside, did the water get in between the wall.....what can we do???????
jbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #8

it is hard to see if the water got inside the walls and finally end up under the membrane. Trust me I know now how you feel with water leakage on a new rv. It was my case over a year ago and my trailer ended up back to the factory where they did a lots of work. But the story does not finish there. The same leakage that was repaired at the factory reappered again a few weeks ago and the trailer is back to the factory for a second repair. I am glad we have Forest River to back up on their products because many other companies would tell you to hit the road because the warranty is over.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #9

If the sealer is starting to get hard, think about doing it. Whenever you reseal joints, it's like caulking a tub or window. You should remove as much of the old stuff first before you prep and reseal. If you wait to long, taking off the hard sealer will be a pain in the butt and you have a greater shot at damaging the membrane.
wneise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #10

When I re-do my sealant I am going to take a play from the guys that put the coping around my pool. put the sealant on like normal and while its still wet pour play sand on it and let it dry then sweep it off (or let it blow off) in a day or so.... sand is a great sun barrier.
whanner is offline   Reply With Quote