Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2015, 01:29 PM   #1
Papi

Roof Clean & UV Protect $350. Legit?

Does this sound right or am I still living in the 80s? Local facility (well known) suggested that I have my (Cedar Creek) fiver roof cleaned and they also UV protect for $350. Does this sound legit? While I am not against paying for these services I just want to have some idea that it is worth the money. Cleaning I could do with a mop, brush and hose and a jug of "the right stuff" but the UV protectorant is new to me. Is this something I can do also? The rig is two years old and they're saying it should be done every year...two at most. What say all who have experience with these matters? Yea or Nea?
now in same place.
Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:40 PM   #2

That is about what our dealer charges, and yes, it should be done. But no way I am paying that kind of price. I can wash the roof in couple of hours, and the UV protectant is less than $50.

Washing the roof (to me) is well worth it just to keep dirt from streaking down the sides. Gutters help a lot, but I still think a clean roof helps keep the sides cleaner. Plus it gives you a chance to inspect all the seams and sealant. The UV protectant should reduce "chalking" if you have a rubber roof.

Definitely worth doing - whether you do it yourself or pay the dealer is just personal preference.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:05 PM   #3

Depending on the type of roof you have it may be a good or bad idea. The specific info for the roof of my 5er states to NOT USE anything but soap/water or you void the warranty. Check your documentation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papicamper View Post
Does this sound right or am I still living in the 80s? Local facility (well known) suggested that I have my (Cedar Creek) fiver roof cleaned and they also UV protect for $350. Does this sound legit? While I am not against paying for these services I just want to have some idea that it is worth the money. Cleaning I could do with a mop, brush and hose and a jug of "the right stuff" but the UV protectorant is new to me. Is this something I can do also? The rig is two years old and they're saying it should be done every year...two at most. What say all who have experience with these matters? Yea or Nea?
This may or may not be applicable to YOUR SPECIFIC ROOF but this is a link to the information that came with my unit and might be helpful to you. If you knew which manufacturer made your specific roof material it would be best to follow their literature specifically.

http://www.primetimerv.com/download/...Dicor-FAQs.pdf

Having said that, I am with some of the other guys, I'm gonna clean my own roof and if it does need treated, I'll do it myself and save a big portion of that $350.
2012 Primetime Lacrosse 318 BHS
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papicamper View Post
I would do it myself and save the bucks. I read in Trailer Life magazine the best way to clean your roof is to use spic and span. It's cheap, does the trick, you don't have to pay all the money for the products you buy from the dealers and it won't harm a rubber roof. Then I would apply the sealant after it dries. The plus factor to this is you can check for anything that needs repairs before you start.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:36 PM   #6

In order for 12 yr roof warranty to be in effect you have to document cleaning / protect once a year.....I bought a gallon of cleaner/protect from my dealer...they use it when they charge for the service.....which is in that price range of 350....the gallon costs about 50 bucks.....and will treat my roof 6 times....so I clean it twice a year .... and document it in case ever a warranty issue comes up....btw that 12 yr warranty is prorated I believe....so if 6 yrs old and needs work you may only get half the cost back.....good luck with what you do.....

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:51 PM   #7

I did a factory tour at cedar creek and asked about roof maintenance and was told wash only-- no treatment. This was per the manufacturer of the material -- Dicor
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:53 PM   #8
Take The Road Less Travld

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
That is about what our dealer charges, and yes, it should be done. But no way I am paying that kind of price. I can wash the roof in couple of hours, and the UV protectant is less than $50.

Washing the roof (to me) is well worth it just to keep dirt from streaking down the sides. Gutters help a lot, but I still think a clean roof helps keep the sides cleaner. Plus it gives you a chance to inspect all the seams and sealant. The UV protectant should reduce "chalking" if you have a rubber roof.

Definitely worth doing - whether you do it yourself or pay the dealer is just personal preference.
I agree. It's a great way to know your roof better. And it really keeps the black streaks off the sides. As long as you're capable, you're roof is the first defense against leaks and other damaging problems. Get up there and inspect while you clean. I don't use a UV protectant, but it might be built in to my RV cleaner. I get up there twice a year, spring after I uncover it and fall just before I cover it, if not more often.
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof