Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2018, 06:19 PM   #1

Roof damage from factory and the way the dealership wants to fix it.

When we went through the pdi on our trailer about 6 weeks ago. I found a section of the roof on the front left corner of the unit that was mis cut from the factory. It appears that who ever installed the roof cut the decking about an inch short for about 2 inches, then realized his mistake and then continued the cut at the correct width. So in short, there is a 2 square inch void on the corner of my roof where it meets the corner of the front cap. The dealership agreed that it was wrong and was cool about filing a claim with FR and getting a new roof installed. We agreed that we would take it and go ahead and use it for 90 days and then bring it back for the roof fix and any other stuff that we found during the 90 days.

I know, I know, never take possession until the unit is perfect. We have bought from this dealership before and they have always treated us beyond fantastic. So we took possession.

I called them today to schedule a time to bring it in (they are about 4 hours away) and the service guy said that they already filed the claim and that they were going to try and pull the membrane (rubber roof) back and replace the decking, then re-apply the membrane. Am I wrong in thinking that they should replace the entire roof? I have not argued with them yet as I wanted some feedback from you guys. They did say that if the membrane didnt pull up right that it would have to be replaced anyway. But this thing came from the factory this way due to some guy being lazy. What does everyone think? Should I argue with the dealership or go straight to FR? Or should I just let them fix it and call it good?
Old 10-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #2

they are not going to replace an entire roof for a 2 inch section that can be scabbed in and fixed in an hour or so... the membrane needs to stay intact and it probably will... cut a piece to replace the missing part, glue it in and replace the membrane... caulk and you should be good to go... IMO

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
they are not going to replace an entire roof for a 2 inch section that can be scabbed in and fixed in an hour or so... the membrane needs to stay intact and it probably will... cut a piece to replace the missing part, glue it in and replace the membrane... caulk and you should be good to go... IMO
Thanks. Thats what I needed to know. In my minds eye, I pictured them pulling 6 to 8 foot of the membrane back to replace the entire sheet. Never considered just scabbing in a piece.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:36 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_allison510 View Post
...and that they were going to try and pull the membrane (rubber roof) back and replace the decking...
If they said exactly what you quoted, then I agree with your initial thought. They're going to pull the membrane back up to 4' and replace the whole sheet of decking.

Even if that's the case, I still wouldn't have a problem with that. I would ask for an extended warranty on the roofing in that area and I'd do a thorough inspection and video it, before I accepted it back.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:47 PM   #5

Well, I am going to request an entire roof now. I got up on the roof today to look for a leak. (a whole other situation and post). When I was getting down I noticed something peculiar. Where the rear of the roof folds over to meet the rear trim, there appears to be a cut almost from one side to the other. I have attached some pics so you guys can see what I am talking about. The cut does not appear to go all the way through but there is no way it will last for the years to come. I am becoming more and more disgusted with this unit.

https://imgur.com/gvwbxHn

https://imgur.com/DF7Benw

https://imgur.com/dEUb3Ac

https://imgur.com/cxjzJZy
Old 10-12-2018, 09:16 PM   #6

Off topic but the second pic, is that a defect on your back wall, dirt maybe, doesn't look right, oh, and neither does the roof.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusadernoob View Post
Off topic but the second pic, is that a defect on your back wall, dirt maybe, doesn't look right, oh, and neither does the roof.
Man, I didnt even notice that. I will have to take a closer look tomorrow. I guess I was so focused on trying to get my water leaks tracked down, I didnt even notice it. But it definitely does not look right. Doesnt surprise me. This thing has been nothing but trouble since we got it 6 weeks ago.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:11 PM   #8

Gee whiz, that doesn't look good at all. I had a roof issue when I got my 2017 Cherokee Limited 274DBH in Aug. of 2016. The repair involved pulling back the roof about 4' from the front cap and resealing it. I was able to stop in and view the actual repair process for the few days it took. I was impressed at the quality of the work that was done. Caught the problem before it ever got rained on, and have had no other issues in the two plus years since the repair was done. Granted I crawl all over my trailer a lot looking for any issues and trying to maintain and keep things sealed up. Just finished Eterna bond (not sure of the spelling) taping the sides and front and rear of my roof, as I have read about on this forum. Also treat it once a year with 303 protectant. I hope your problems are handled to your satisfaction. All the concerns I have had have all been taken care of completely. Some issues have been so minor I just take care of myself. Be thankful you seem to have a decent dealer, that can make all the difference. Good luck with your roof.
Jack Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:28 PM   #9

Part of me wants to go ahead and get FR involved. But as of now I am going to put my faith in the dealer and trust they will make it right. And make everything else right that we have found. ( its a lot) This is my 13th or 14th Rv. I have had some real junk when we first started out 16 years ago when I bought my first pop-up when I was 19. And this unit has by far been the most troublesome in the 6 weeks we have owned it. Really hoping that everything turns out good, but as of now its stressful and discouraging.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:12 PM   #10

Fast forward almost 2 and a half months. I am finally getting somewhere on my issue. As of now, FR will not replace my entire roof. They are going to fix the front part of the roof but they will not fix the rear because they feel since the cut is not all the way through the membrane, it is only a cosmetic problem. BUT....the main guy at FR warranty did say that he would give me an extended warranty on the roof for as long as I owned the unit. Obviously, that will not cover neglect on my part, but it does make me feel better since it will cover it if the cut ever separates. What do you guys think.

I still have one issue with the roof that may go ahead and convince them to replace the entire thing. But my FR contact has to wait for the dealership to open up after the holidays.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Fast forward almost 2 and a half months. I am finally getting somewhere on my issue. As of now, FR will not replace my entire roof. They are going to fix the front part of the roof but they will not fix the rear because they feel since the cut is not all the way through the membrane, it is only a cosmetic problem. BUT....the main guy at FR warranty did say that he would give me an extended warranty on the roof for as long as I owned the unit. Obviously, that will not cover neglect on my part, but it does make me feel better since it will cover it if the cut ever separates. What do you guys think.

I still have one issue with the roof that may go ahead and convince them to replace the entire thing. But my FR contact has to wait for the dealership to open up after the holidays.
If FR doesn't end up replacing entire roof I would certainly clean out the area pictured and either coat it with a compatible (with the roof material) non sagging lap seal. May not be cut through and compromising the strength but I'd sure make sure that "weather" was not able to get in and cause deterioration.

Some things are not worth hassling with by running back and forth to the Dealer. I found a small bubble in the roof recently. No leak just an air bubble. When our monsoon season is over I'll suck out the air with a syringe, insert some glue, then cover with some lap sealant. Will probably look just as good as when the dealer would be done.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:20 PM   #12

Final Update....hopefully

I just wanted to let everyone know that after going back and forth with FR. They have agreed to replace my entire roof. Staying polite, firm, and persistent paid off.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:33 PM   #13
Canadian Member

Quote:
I just wanted to let everyone know that after going back and forth with FR. They have agreed to replace my entire roof. Staying polite, firm, and persistent paid off.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:12 PM   #14

Hopefully you have better luck then we did. About 3 months after we purchased our Roo hybrid it was damaged by a falling limb due to an ice storm. The limb clipped the front right corner and tore some of the roof membrane and damaged some of the support structure underneath. We took it to the dealership to fix the damage under an insurance claim. They requested a full new roof membrane along with a fix to the minor structural damage. They could have easily patched the membrane as it was only a small tear, but I figured it was great to get a whole new roof. We took it in with one leak and it was returned to us with 2 more leaks. The TV antenna, skylight, and original damaged area, all leaked. Long story short, two years later we had to take the dealership to court. We won a settlement in small claims, but then they hired a lawyer, appealed the verdict and that was the end of that.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, factory, roo, roof