Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #1

Roof Damage - Write off?

We had a long hard winter in Eastern Canada and the all the snow is finally gone. Now the cleanup and damage assessment. Early spring, I cleaned snow and ice from the roof of my fifth wheel. I noticed damage. It appears that the leading edge of the roof sheathing ( mid ship) has either let go from the roof truss and depressed into itself or it broke one or more roof trusses. The edge of the sheathing also created a small puncture in the roof membrane. I repaired that with eternabond. A moisture detector showed moisture on the interior ceiling just below this area. I involved the insurance company, an adjuster came , followed up by a service tech from a local RV dealer. The service tech said without looking at it that it would likely be a write off. I'm not sure if the insurance settlement will cover the lien. My question is, do you think the roof can be repaired to its factory condition or should I insist on a write off?

I know you guys like pictures, but pics won't show anything helpful for your discussion.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I can't believe that the cost to repair is equal to the book value of your 2011 camper. I'd check with another repair center...this kind of repair is routinely done.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
I can't believe that the cost to repair is equal to the book value of your 2011 camper. I'd check with another repair center...this kind of repair is routinely done.

Dave
It would not be a routine fix here if structural damage occurred. My understanding from the RV repair guy is that any repairs that may require factory repairs are automatic write offs, due to the expense related to transport and repairs. This is apparent for insurance claims only. If I went to a repair shop and asked for a quote , I would expect to pay half of what an insurance quote would pay. This is also true for automobile repairs. Had a little damage to my truck once. If I went through insurance, it would cost $1500. If I paid myself the quote was $500. I obviously paid myself, saved the deductible and increase in insurance premiums.

But my questions remains, should I expect a factory quality ( I use that term loosely) repair job or should I accept a write off claim?
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 05-07-2015, 08:30 AM   #4

That is a question only you can answer. If you are willing to accept a repair that will be less than factory quality to save money, then go with that. It will definitely cost cash to have it fixed right. It all depends on what you want.

In the pop up world we content with roof leaks that will cause our floors to get soft and rot. Some only accept a full floor replacement with matching vinyl (which is a total loss). Others will cut out the damaged wood and patch the vinyl as best they can. It all depends on what you want to accept.

The insurance will pay you Actual cash value (ACV) for the RV plus taxes. Hopefully you are not upside down on the unit.

Good luck.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
That is a question only you can answer. If you are willing to accept a repair that will be less than factory quality to save money, then go with that. It will definitely cost cash to have it fixed right. It all depends on what you want.

Vin.

I know it's my decision to make, but I would like to make an informed one based on experiences of others. For those who have had a factory repair, is it to the same quality as a factory manufacture? What are your experiences?
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 05-07-2015, 12:57 PM   #6

I have a CC 29RE and last July I tried to fit my 5er under a overpass that was only 11 feet +/-....Damaged front vent over broom and a "few" small tears in roof rubber covering....Replaced whole membrane and the final insurance figure was $8,000.00.....I could have only replaced 1/3 of it but considering it was a 2014 model only 7 months old i opted to do a full replacement....also considered my trade in value down the road as no one would buy a roof with a seam across......It was not a factory 100% job as there were a few wrinkles along the sides.....Flat roof was glued down to plywood........
T think my cross frame/ribs are aluminum and it would take a lot of weight to damage them.....Can you remove a light from inside the unit and with a flash light view any internal damage??????....J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:55 PM   #7

I had a factory repair at Tiffin and it was better than the original workmanship???
It depends on the tech who does the work....

gtony2
gtony2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 02:14 PM   #8

CAN it be repaired correctly?

Your question is, I think. CAN it be repaired back to factory standards or better. Most definitely. We replace and or repair roof assemblies all the time. We have a ten foot underpass close by that is only two miles from a local camp ground and do roof repairs including replacing roof joists and interior ceiling panels. The air conditioners usually end up hanging from the ceiling or laying on the road behind the unit. If you get into joist repair you will be at or around 9 to $11,000.00. Hope this helps you in your decision.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsdaletc View Post
Your question is, I think. CAN it be repaired back to factory standards or better. Most definitely. We replace and or repair roof assemblies all the time. We have a ten foot underpass close by that is only two miles from a local camp ground and do roof repairs including replacing roof joists and interior ceiling panels. The air conditioners usually end up hanging from the ceiling or laying on the road behind the unit. If you get into joist repair you will be at or around 9 to $11,000.00. Hope this helps you in your decision.

Thanks for your input. It helps greatly with my decision process. I suspect, the roof membrane will have to be replaced, as well as some roof sheathing. I have since discovered evidence of moisture in the ceiling. I expect one or two interior ceiling panels would also require replacing. I still do not know the extent of structure damage to the roof trusses and sheathing etc. I haven't heard back from the insurance company yet.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 05-12-2015, 04:10 PM   #10

Which is why I tell people to get replacement cost when they insure their RVs. Most companies who insure RVs will give you replacement cost insurance for the first five years. Many auto insurers when you add an RV to an auto policy don't cover for replacement cost. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:56 AM   #11

UPDATE..UPDATE...UPDATE (If you're interested)

The insurance company wrote the camper off. I will receive a cheque for the full amount insured less a $500 deductible. It still falls short of my loan payout, but I guess I have to suck it up. So, We will be taking a hiatus from camping for awhile. Our plans are to retire within 3-5 years (perhaps sooner) and will seriously look at motorhomes at that time. The last 20 years of camping has been a blast....
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 06-17-2015, 08:59 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

To bad rugged!
Don't be a stranger!
I bet you "accidentally" find a new unit soon!

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof