Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #1

Roof Drip

I have a 2012 Wildwood 32BHDS that we bought new last year. We have probably used it about a dozen times now, with absolutely no issues. This weekend, on our last night of camping, it poured, and I mean poured, for a few hours. All of a sudden we heard dripping in the kitchen area. Water was leaking from one of the radio speakers mounted on the ceiling. I am really freaked out by this, because I know a leaky roof can be death to a travel trailer in no time. My last TT, which was a brand new Jayco Jayfeather, also developed a roof leak after one year. I am getting really frustrated because I am VERY meticulous when it comes to maintaining and inspecting my travel trailer. I spent two hours on my hands and knees this spring, sealing anything that looked even remotely questionable on that roof. The trailer sat through day after day of rain recently (we live in WI) an has not leaked at all - I know because I am constantly checking it in bad weather to make sure. Are these trailers just built that poorly that they can develop a leak one or two years after manufacturing? Now, this was not a major flood inside the trailer - it did not even soak a dishrag that I put inside of a bucket under the leak, but I am still very concerned. Needless to say, I will be up on the roof ASAP looking for anything that looks fishy, but I can't see how there could be any sign of leak that I would not have seen earlier this spring. Should I contact the dealer, Forest River, or see if it happens again before I worry any more? To me, a newer trailer should NEVER leak, no matter how hard it rained or how "I was parked" as some have tried to tell me could have been the cause. HELP!!!
tony4pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:22 AM   #2

I would absolutely contact the dealer letting them know the issue. A trailer this new should not have any leaks. I would take some photos as well for your records. Hope they get this fixed for you as its been a rainy summer at least here in Northern Ohio.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:20 AM   #3

when you are checking the roof for the source of the leak,pull the rubber strip at the top of the side and check the screws for tightness or rust. the attached pic shows the source of a leak that my neighbor had on his rig. i also had the same problem on my rockwood. water was seeping in the screwholes and leaking down through a roof a/c vent. after replacing all the screws along the strip with ss screws,putting sealant on each one and tightening,i eliminated the leak.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rustygutter.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	34790  
Old 07-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #4

Roof Leak Repair Products & Sealing Tape | EternaBond®

Used this on my old trailer; awesome stuff..... the first link shows you how to seal the screws using a small piece of tape....
2012 Rockwood Windjammer 2809W
2004 Dodge Ram 5.7L 4X4 Quad
dfskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #5

If the air conditioner is upslope from the leak, it could also be the source. Wouldn't be the first time one wasn't installed properly.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #6

I recently bought a 2014 Wildwood TT and being a boat owner too, I am very paranoid about water leaks so I got on the roof of the TT and looked around. I saw unsealed spots on the TV radio antenna mounting brackets. Brand new? I used 3M fast drying 4200 marine adhesive on these two mounts to permanently seal it up. When the time comes, I will be replacing all the silicone with 3M 4200. 3M also sells a 5200 sealant which is a more permanent installation adhesive.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote