Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #1

Roof inspection on a 90 day old trailer

I picked up my Flagstaff Microlite 21FBRS on Memorial Day weekend and now suddenly it is Labor Day. The guy who walked me through the trailer said to get up on the roof after 90 days and check for any cracks and such and patch with Dicor. My question is, should I use Dicor or Eternabond tape? Should I just fix cracks or should I seal along every edge up there like I have seen some do here?

Also, can the roof hold 225 lbs?
Old 09-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
Always Learning

Yes, the roof will hold you. I'm 265 and have been up on mine (different brand, but they're made for it).

I'd be surprised that after 90 days that you need more sealant.

Dicor or Eternabond both work. Eternabond seems to be a longer-lasting fix, but more time consuming as you have to remove what is there now fully before applying it.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Good questions.

Yes - the roof is made to support your weight. Just don't stomp around up there.

The choice of Eternabond vs LAP sealant is a personal one. Many who have gone the Eternabond route are happy. Its a lot of work; but it seems to be permanent so reduced labor down the road. There are a few threads that discuss it in more depth. Here's one discussion that I bookmarked from a few years ago... http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ost-17433.html

As for inspecting and touching up, I am not sure if you have EPDM or TPO. We have resources from both Alpha (TPO) and Dicor (EPDM) on how to clean and touch up your roof. Forest River Forums - Downloads - Awnings, Roofs and Exterior

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #4

One more question, how do I know what kind of roof I have and if Dicor is the right stuff to use?
Old 09-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
One more question, how do I know what kind of roof I have and if Dicor is the right stuff to use?
Rubber roof (AKA “EPDM”) membranes are smooth and will be slippery when wet. TPO roof membranes have a texture like an orange peel. Source

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 09-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Oops - disn't see your second question about sealant.

Dicor LAP sealant is a commonly used sealant for both roofs.

Dicor and the like are usually found at RV stores. At least my hardware stores have never carried them.

Dicor Self-Leveling Lap Sealant

There is also a sealant for vertical surfaces that is not self-leveling.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 09-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

My advice would be to Dicor any imperfections, indentations, or obvious screw head exposures and let it "set" for a week.

THEN do a complete EB tape cover of your roof seams. That way you know you are working with a water tight roof to start with.

Don't forget to tape under the roof antenna (at least where it contacts the membrane). Constant wind vibration while traveling can put a hole in your roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	913th 3rd Annual Picnic and Camper photos 035.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	39142   Click image for larger version

Name:	913th 3rd Annual Picnic and Camper photos 036.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	39143  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #8

@Triguy, ok, Dicor it is. But after reading some of the PDF files you linked to I am scared to clean my camper & roof! There are warnings galore about not using this, that or the other cleaner, don't use citrus based cleaners which many are these days. The cleaners for the roof say not to get it on the sides or metal parts which would be pretty much impossible since you are cleaning the roof. Is there any single cleaner that will clean both the roof and sides without messing up anything?

Thanks for all the help so far.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Is there any single cleaner that will clean both the roof and sides without messing up anything?

Thanks for all the help so far.
I don't think there is one solution. Or, maybe there is but I'm not familiar with it. Here is what I do for the roof, then the sides and awning:

Roof:

I have only ever used two types on the roof of our 233S: Murphy's Oil Soap or Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner. The Simple Green really did a good job - better than the Murphy's.

Basically, the roof needs to be cleaned with a non-petroleum based cleaner. While you are up there, closely inspect the seals for cracks and use Dicor LAP sealant to touch-up (leveling for horizontal surfaces and non-leveling for vertical surfaces).

Body:
I like Wash Wax ALL Cleaner from Aero Cosmetics. I will use water/soap to get the heavy road grime off where needed but the Wash Wax All does a good job for 95% of the trailer. The key is to take your time even if you need to plan on a couple of days. Spray on in a small enough area where you can immediately wipe dry. Do not let it dry on its own as it will leave streaks. A box of disposable rags is nice to use.

Awning:
I like LA's Totally Awesome. The process I use is to dilute the concentrated Awesome, spray it on the underside (make sure to wear safety goggles and old clothes), climb on top of my camper and spray it on the topside of the awning, roll up and let it sit for 30 minutes. Unroll the awning and wipe off with a mop and water. Rinse top and bottom with a hose when done cleaning. Let dry.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 09-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #10

Do NOT apply like this! Dealer applied! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	buffy06.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	39146  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #11

The EPDM documents you linked to say not to use citric based cleaners and Simple Green does have some citric acid. Is it not enough to harm the roof? Did you dilute it or use it full strength?

Thanks again for all the help. I hate to keep asking all these questions but the roof is very important and I want to get it right.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Do NOT apply like this! Dealer applied! Youroo!!

Was that yours, Youroo? If so, did you leave it or clean it up?

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 09-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #13

Is that shaving cream or birthday cake icing?
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #14

Or a super expensive fix with silicone that won't work anyways!!
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post

Was that yours, Youroo? If so, did you leave it or clean it up?
Yes that was our brand new KZ trailer. The dealer replaced the Front one piece cap. When we picked it up this is how it looked,after a replacement! We took picks and sent to KZ,and heard Nothing back? I called KZ and ask about a reply. They said they took the picks out too the Workers and said they thought it was a (Joke)? When they realized it was a Dealer repair they could not (Apologize) enough! We took the trailer to KZ and they were like F/R at the Goshen Frog Rally! PS the (Dealer??) is no longer in Business! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The EPDM documents you linked to say not to use citric based cleaners and Simple Green does have some citric acid. Is it not enough to harm the roof? Did you dilute it or use it full strength?

Thanks again for all the help. I hate to keep asking all these questions but the roof is very important and I want to get it right.
Its a good question. Mine is an Alpha TPO roof and doesn't warn against citric-based (but does warn against petroleum distillates). Even so, I knew that EPDM warned against it so I looked into it myself when it was recommended to me by other campers.

First: The current MSDS listed citric as <1%. Also, the stuff is watered down according to the instructions. I believe its 1:10. The <1% they do have is not citrus terpenes (a cleaning agent) according to Simple Green.

Next: This still had me concerned so I reviewed a whole slew of people's experiences on various trailer websites. I just didn't see any reported problems with roof swelling (a problem with petroleum distillates) or pitting (a problem with citric-based cleaners).

So, you have to decide what is right for you. I'm comfortable with it because the cleaning and maintaining sheet from Alpha doesn't warn against it, a lot of experienced campers (and I mean a lot) have used it and because any citrus is extremely watered down.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 09-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
I spent this afternoon cleaning the top of my 5er with Thetford RV Roof cleaner and conditioner. Waiting for the sun to clear the trees and will go out and finish the job by applying Dicor Roof Guard. I've used this combo for that past 4 years and have never had a problem. I treat it like this in the spring and again in the fall.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #18
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
I spent this afternoon cleaning the top of my 5er with Thetford RV Roof cleaner and conditioner. Waiting for the sun to clear the trees and will go out and finish the job by applying Dicor Roof Guard. I've used this combo for that past 4 years and have never had a problem. I treat it like this in the spring and again in the fall.
I use the Dicor cleaner AND roof guard, but I think the other solutions here are equally good.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #19

Garbonz: What type of RV is the V-Cross 273 VRLS? I have a 2012 V-Cross 275 VRLS and as I view the 2012 and the 2013 books on the V-Cross, I don't see a V-Cross 273 listed? The picture on your post looks a lot like my 275?
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof, trailer