Old 06-12-2018, 02:14 PM   #1

Exclamation Roof issue

I have a 2015 and the roof is coming apart any suggestions

Mod note: moved this post and reply to it's own thread.

Golf2078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:25 PM   #2
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf2078 View Post
I have a 2015 and the roof is coming apart any suggestions
First thing I'd suggest is to take it to your selling dealer for an evaluation and estimate of what it's going to take to repair it.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:47 PM   #3
Head Rambler

While Bob has given you good advice, I'd like to know more.

How is it 'coming apart'? Membrane, structure, projections, etc.?

What brand and model RV is it?

Where are you located? (This may help in recommending where to take it.)

Can you post pics of the damage?
Old 06-16-2018, 03:41 PM   #4

Roof seams

Ten months ago I bought a Salem Cruise-Lite 241QBXL TT from the first owner. When asking about maintenance he told me he had the seams on the roof caulked by the dealer and it should not leak.

Since then I have for the most part forgotten about the roof. But looking at recent posts about maintenance of the roof I have some questions that I'd like to have opinions on. My seams look nothing like anything else I've seen on this forum.

The FR manual for this trailer does not provide any specific details about what the roof is made out of. It only says it should be inspected and washed twice a year with a mild household detergent using a soft brush. I am not at the age where I'm comfortable climbing and walking on the roof of my unit and I will have to hire it done. Also, it might be possible this caulking has fine cracks here and there, especially on the roof edge.

I have provided a couple of pictures showing the type of "caulking" the dealer but on the seams. It appears to be a liquid rubber and was applied by pouring it on.

Can anyone give me any information as to what the "caulking" is and if it's a normal application usually applied by a certified dealer? And secondly, what should I do to seal the fine cracks I see?

Thanks, - 2 pictures attached.

Mo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-4055.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	360.5 KB
ID:	176158   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-4051.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	176159  
moshe1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:40 PM   #5
Head Rambler

That's self leveling lap sealant. And yes, it's what's normally applied by dealers and even the mfg.

To fix the cracks you see, just clean the caulking and let it dry and then get tubes of self leveling lap sealant and apply it right over the old.

If you want something more permanent you could cover all the seams with Eternabond tape and not have to worry about it again.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:01 AM   #6

roof issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
That's self-leveling lap sealant. And yes, it's what's normally applied by dealers and even the mfg.

To fix the cracks you see, just clean the caulking and let it dry and then get tubes of self-leveling lap sealant and apply it right over the old.

If you want something more permanent you could cover all the seams with Eternabond tape and not have to worry about it again.
Bama-Rambler, thanks for your reply. I'm relieved to know that what was applied to my roof is a typical fix by dealers or the mfr. I don't know if it is was put on because of leaks or as a preventive measure. I have seen no indication of damage or odors that would indicate mold. Everything inside seems like new.

I'm wondering if the Eternabond tape would adequately seal around the lumpy lap sealant on there. Also, can you give me some idea what the brand of the "tubes of self-leveling lap sealant" you recommend?

I still would like to know if washing/cleaning the roof twice a year is necessary and why. If so, what to use and what to avoid. I did see a post recently where some poster used a product that left a residue on the sides and windows of his unit that was difficult to remove. Then I saw a reply saying to use Murphy's Oil Soap. Any help with would be appreciated.

So much to learn about these RV's!!! Until recently I'd been into boats all my life and always thought of them as a "money pit." But between the TV and TT I can see this is also true!! I can do a lot of the maintenance myself but then again, there are quite a few that I have to have done for me. It's been costly!!

Bama-Rambler: Thanks so much for your response -- much appreciated!
Old 06-17-2018, 08:53 AM   #7

@ moshe1436: I have a friend who has an RV repair service operating out of his back yard/shop. I go over and help him often and have learned a lot about RV maintenance. This is what he recommends for sealing areas on the roof, I have used it, and I believe it does a great job. This is from Amazon but is available at most RV sales parts places: https://www.amazon.com/Dicor-501LSW-.../dp/B00G6KGPFM
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
@ moshe1436: I have a friend who has an RV repair service operating out of his back yard/shop. I go over and help him often and have learned a lot about RV maintenance. This is what he recommends for sealing areas on the roof, I have used it, and I believe it does a great job. This is from Amazon but is available at most RV sales parts places: https://www.amazon.com/Dicor-501LSW-.../dp/B00G6KGPFM
Thanks for this information! I will look into it. Appreciate your response.