Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #1

roof leak

Upon inspection on the rv last night, I discovered that there is a soft spot on the front area of the trailer. I noticed after the last rain that there was a small puddle of water on the counter. I could not seem to find where it was coming from. The trailer was tilted forward a good bit, and I am aware that it could be traveling from the back to the front. I have thoroughly inspected this roof and have maintained it faithfully. I am actually sick to find this new problem.
I am wondering if sealing ALL the roofs seams with eternabond tape is the way to go. I am also thinking about the soft spot discovery, if this roof has had a small leak for sometime, however, being on a level area, was there not enough of a leak to make it to the interior to be discovered. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thank you in advance.
blue eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Check the caulking on all roof openings. Unless you have a tear in the rubber roof, it's the only way water can penetrate.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #3

That is what such a mystery, there doesnt seem to be anything, anywhere, that we can find that even looks like it would be a potential problem. It is just so frustrating to not be able to find the exact place that the water is getting in..We have checked and rechecked! So that is why we are thinking to go with the taping the seams..Thanks
blue eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:45 AM   #4

There is a service that many RV dealers provide (Im sorry I forget what it is called) where they can tell you every single location on the trailer that is not 100% water tight. Does not always mean there is a leak but it shows that water could get in. I dont know all the details but the basic premise is they hook this fixture up to the inside of one of your roof vents and that fixture hooks to a machine. They then cover the entire exterior of the trailer in a thick soapy type stuff and the machine then pressurizes the ceilings and walls of the camper. Anywhere thats not water tight will start to bubble and the bad areas will create very large bubbles. I though mine was good and this service found 6 different areas that I needed to caulk. It's a few hundred dollars but in your case this might be the perfect solution. Check it out and see if your local RV shop has something similar.
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
Site Team

kfp673, what you're talking about is Sealtech.
here's their website where you can find the nearest place to have this done:

Sealtech Manufacturing Inc. - RV leaks bubbles recreational vehicles
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote