Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2015, 01:46 PM   #1

Roof Leak

Looking for suggestions. When I first bought my Forester I had a bad roof leak within the first month. Took it back to dealer supposedly fixed it. 10 months later I find out that I have major damage again due to a roof leak. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent this? I have read about the rubber roofs that you can paint on. But all I can really find out about them is the manufacturer ads. I don't keep it in a garage but might need to get a cover for it
medwards7374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:06 PM   #2

It should still be under warranty correct (11 months in)? Talk with your dealer and then FR direct if you are still having concerns. The problem is not just the current leak it is any residual damage you cannot see from this leak and the previous one. Is it the same place? There are rubber paint on stuff as well as tape from eternabond.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:27 PM   #3

I am working with FR (dealer is a one and done who will not help) but from what I am hearing they will have to try and make an exception if they cover it. Because I didn't follow manufacturer suggestion of having a technician inspect it every 6 months. Hopefully FR will replace it or at least help with replacement costs. From what it looks like, when dealer first "fixed" the roof all they did was recaulk it. And I didn't think about getting on roof and inspecting. of course, I wouldn't have known what I was inspecting anyway. Dealer told me I should have it inspected annually. So before we took it to Florida for a week I took it back to a closer dealer (around here we seem to have one dealer that has great sales reps but the repair shop is substandard or great repair but the sales reps are not good) and discovered a much worse leak. I never had the roof issues with my Sunseeker . I had it for 8 yrs with no roof issues.
medwards7374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:46 PM   #4

I would think you could talk with FR and if anything tell them that the first fix wasn't done right which resulted in the current situation

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:17 PM   #5
Plain Old Member

Might try and PM "bgilly". He can tell you all about roof leaks in a Forester as he's chased several. That roof in my opinion is a bad design to start with. The longitudinal strips securing the radius molding form a bowl and hole water on the roof. I would start with the screws securing this strip, then the dicor sealing the strips to the FRP roof, then the screws on and behind the vinyl insert trim on the side molding securing the radius trim, front cap, then the clearance lights. I'd be willing to bet you find your problem. I sealed over every one of the screws, redid ALL of the sealant on the roof to my liking etc. I think bgilly did a lot of the same, still had leaks and ended up with eternabond in the end. He did the positive pressure / soap test and it looked like a bubble bath. I think eternabond would be your best bet, plus inspecting the trim with the vinyl insert.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, roo, roof