Old 09-11-2019, 09:50 PM   #1

Roof leak - My fix

I was spending so much time working on my underbelly and other areas near the bottom of the RV. I decided to take a quick peek at the roof. I kind of wish I hadn't. I found two soft spots in the front corner and rear corner of the awning side. The spots are approximately 2 square feet each.
I was quickly able to determine that both areas are soft due to bad sealant around the lag bolts that hold the awning mount into the frame. Also the gutter runs through the awning mount and a lump of sealant in the gutter likely allowed rain to build up and get into the loose sealant around the lag bolts. Here's what I found after a little disassembly.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190911_191448_resize_33.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	214737

I lifted the roofing membrane and felt the plywood. It was dry except for one small quarter sized spot where the lag bolts attached to the frame. I let it dry out then took my bottle of Titebond 2 glue and squeezed as much as I could onto the plywood. I used a long handled brush to push the glue as far under the membrane as I could. My hope is that it will keep the top layer of the plywood from deteriorating further. At least until I can do a more thorough repair. There was no sign of mold growth at this time. I am hyper sensitive to mold and didn't smell it or start sneezing uncontrollably.

Here's a picture of my visitor during the late night repair.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190911_214648_resize_21.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	214736

I'll have pictures of the finished repair soon.

RetiredSoldier919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:29 AM   #2

A quick reminder to check those gutters for blockages. Particularly if they run through the awning mounts. Water finds it's way into those entry points of the bolts and screws.

More pics to come.
RetiredSoldier919 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, roo, roof