Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2018, 11:08 AM   #1

Roof Leak - Viking 17BH

Hello!
We purchased our 2017 Viking 17BH last February at a local RV show. Took delivery in April. Unfortunately, we were only able to use the unit 2 times last season, as we had a new baby and life was a bit hectic haha

At the end of the season, we noted a few small issues when we used the unit, such as the trim around the table was not secured and kept falling off, one window is difficult to open, etc.. and also there were 2 staples in the ceiling that seemed to be a bit discoloured. We reported these to our dealer and they said those things didn't seem urgent and they could fix them up in the spring. We winterized the unit ourselves so we could learn a bit about it and kept it in the driveway, so we were able to check on it several times over the very cold and long Eastern Canadian winter. We inspected the roof caulking in the fall and again in the spring when we started to de-winterize the unit. In the spring when de-winterizing the unit, we noticed that there were even more ceiling staples that were discoloured, and some inside the cabinetry were pretty much rusty... upon closer inspection, there was a 6" long bubble in the right corner of the wall, right up against the cabinetry. My husband started poking around on the roof, and the whole right hand corner of the unit was soft

We reported this to our dealer, and got the unit to the shop.
After some back and forth, Forest River came back that they would not cover the roof leak, as it was past the 1 year warranty - I get it.. but a leeway of a month would go a long way since this was a brand new unit that was used twice, and with the extent of the damage, the leak had clearly been happening since it was manufactured. Luckily, our dealer stepped up to the plate, as we HAD reported it to them in the fall, and they as they hadn't passed the info along to FR, they took the hit, and repaired our unit for us at no cost to us. After reading through several threads on here, I see we are very lucky, as this is a known problem, and many are left to fend for themselves or spend thousands of $ to get the issue fixed through the dealer.

My question is this... what can we do going forward to ensure this doesnt happen again? The dealer noted that our caulking was in great shape, there was nothing we could have identified as an issue.. there was a pinhole in the roofing material back near the AC unit and the water had run up to the front corner. From what we can tell, the repair has been done well, but we dont really know what it "should" look like.. I'm not sure if we need to add anything.. i've read on here people recommending things like dicor and eternabond. Perhaps there is some sort of sealant or coating we could apply? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Picture in the post below
noohoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:14 AM   #2

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1532103239.665214.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	180480
Old 07-20-2018, 11:19 AM   #3

Sounds like you have a great dealer that took the $ hit and made the repairs. Wonder why they didn't contact FR right away.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:30 AM   #4

We were definitely lucky.
The discolouration in the fall didn't seem awful.. not full out rusty, just .. not staple coloured, we thought perhaps they just missed with the swipe of small caulking on those ones and they had changed colour due to the humid conditions we had camped in both times we used the unit.. and i dont think they thought it was a huge issue either.. hind sight is 20/20 so they say..
I've read many random posts on the forum since we purchased the unit, and saw there are clearly lax quality control, but had I known I needed to search "roof leaks" before we had one ourselves to find out the extent of the issue, then I'd be rich for my clairvoyant skills lol
Old 07-20-2018, 01:28 PM   #5

What I would do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noohoc View Post
My question is this... what can we do going forward to ensure this doesnt happen again? The dealer noted that our caulking was in great shape, there was nothing we could have identified as an issue.. there was a pinhole in the roofing material back near the AC unit and the water had run up to the front corner. From what we can tell, the repair has been done well, but we dont really know what it "should" look like.. I'm not sure if we need to add anything.. i've read on here people recommending things like dicor and eternabond. Perhaps there is some sort of sealant or coating we could apply? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Picture in the post below
Great picture (and great that the dealer looked out for you. In the picture it appears that the dealer has run a strip of Eternabond (It's a heavy rubber-like tape with an incredible adhesive) across the roof, right alongside the metal strip that covers the transition between the roof material and the end material.

Others may not agree, but we had a LOT of damage due to a leak at one of the screws in that metal strip. An old saying: "Once burned, twice shy." I don't trust the screws in that strip, even with the Dicor caps on them. I believe water could intrude under the edges of the strip and then follow the screw threads into the roof decking. That's what happened to us. I am now replacing much of the roof decking, a big, nasty job.

So if I were in your situation, I would scrape off all those little mounds of Dicor and then run another strip of Eternabond over that transition strip. Maybe use the 4" wide product to get a good lap on both sides of the metal strip.

Other may differ.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:10 PM   #6

Thanks Larry! I honestly hadn't gotten around to googling what dicor or the eternabond even was was yet, so I didn't know that was what they used up there haha

My husband was like - why didn't they just use the goopy white stuff to fill the whole channel over the metal, and not just the screws - so his thought was to fill it all in with more of what we thought was "caulking" of some sort, but we definitely want to go with the best option we can to ensure we don't run into this again. Our dealership was amazing and said that if we had any issues in the next few months until the end of our camping season, to let them know and they would back up their work, so there is that re-assurance, but I'd rather it just not happen at all haha
Old 07-20-2018, 06:20 PM   #7

Dicor Self-leveling Lap Seal is the special caulk used on flat surfaces of trailers. It sticks pretty well but is readily removed when needed. (Never use silicone caulk. It doesn't stick well.)

I've already described Eternabond.

Pulling your trailer or driving your motorhome through a rainstorm at 60 mph for three hours is like being in a Force 1 Hurricane for three hours.

You really need to get this right.

Others may have different opinions or more experience.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:57 PM   #8

Thanks so much Larry. I agree, we definitely want to get it right haha

Tags
leak, roo, roof