Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2015, 08:53 AM   #1

Roof over cab leaking into cab

Joshua, can you advise me where to call for immediate help. After it rained here in Jacksonville, FL area, the large pop out area over the windshield which says Sunseeker on it(2400r model) was sloshing with gallons of water in it which when I started to drive poured in the ceiling right above the driver, upper console light and passenger at the point where the visors meet the windshield. I and my cab and passenger got soaked. It is not from the windshield seal. That is fine. I need immediate service from anyone! Help! Has anyone else had something like this?!? I've made several calls to Goshen, rvdirect, and someone named Travis Logan rep for Sunseeker. Please help. I've not heard back yet!
hifromkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #2

I have a FR 24R that has the same kind of "mystery" leak. The motorhome is parked on my driveway with the cab facing slightly downhill towards the street. We had a substantial, but not unusual rain that day, and when I attempted to move it, there was a LOT of water that "sloshed" through the door seals, and over the visors. Inside the overhead stowage stayed dry, but water sloshed all along the top of the windshield and the doors...the doors were closed tight. When I moved it, I could hear water running somewhere around the cab drivers seat. Inspection indicated no obvious breaks in the seal of the overhead chassis and the top of the cab, and it is almost completely dry there from the overhang. Right now, I am stymied as to where this water is coming from. It is currently tarped to keep further water from getting in, but I need to get this resolved asap. Please help if you have any information.

Thank you,

Jon
Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:25 AM   #3

I'm currently at the dealer having mine looked at. After I did extensive detective work I found it coming in the gutter above the drivers door . Maybe somewhere else but exact same thing as you. My weather was dry and I found it came from the roof air conditioner. When the puddle on the roof got large enough, water drained into the gutter and eventually into the unit. I first noticed water dripping outside from the corners of the cap but I guess after many days of airconditioner use enough water puddled in the cap and when I moved the RV, it streamed into the cab all over me thru the visors.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2015, 09:55 AM   #4
Site Team

The FR Reps, Brian and Josh, usually only respond in the Forester, Sunseeker and Solera forums. I suggest you both post this in one of those forums so they see the issue...
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:23 AM   #5

Thank you HiFromKate! I suspected that the water was getting into one of the roof vents or AC. What did you do to fix it? It appears that there must not be a drain tube for the AC unit condensate...
Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:50 AM   #6
Class C Representative

If it poured in through the visors in the cab then I doubt it was from water inside the cap. The cap and cab have no connection to each other. Either way it needs to be fixed.

PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post
If it poured in through the visors in the cab then I doubt it was from water inside the cap. The cap and cab have no connection to each other. Either way it needs to be fixed.

Thanks Joshua, it is apparently not that uncommon. It is on the shop now. The water was collecting in the cap area somewhere, just in front of the windshield and under the front bed. Only found one point of entry so brought it in to be hopefully dried and investigated. Mike Jankowski got me an appointment, FR Mgr, for Sunseeker I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway View Post
Thank you HiFromKate! I suspected that the water was getting into one of the roof vents or AC. What did you do to fix it? It appears that there must not be a drain tube for the AC unit condensate...

Old 11-02-2015, 01:36 PM   #8
Class C Representative

Yes, he is the Warranty manager and will make sure you're taken care of.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:54 AM   #9

Mike Jankowski is a good guy,,, he will take care of you !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:41 PM   #10

Highly recommend Bobby at:
RV Repair Shop
3660 NE 45th Pl, Ocala, FL 34479
(352) 401-7930

They specialize in RV roofs. FR sent me there for warranty work. Excellent folks.
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:46 AM   #11

Thanks 360True. I received a call from the shop yesterday regarding the leak. It is at Dick Gores RV in Jacksonville, FL. He said they could not find the leak. I explained to him exactly how I was able to make water drip from the inside of the cap. I found the air conditioner condensation drained onto the roof and into the roof gutter over the driver side door. Then water drips out of the corner of the cap. No word back yet. The tip on your post may be needed!
Old 11-04-2015, 07:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway View Post
I have a FR 24R that has the same kind of "mystery" leak. The motorhome is parked on my driveway with the cab facing slightly downhill towards the street. We had a substantial, but not unusual rain that day, and when I attempted to move it, there was a LOT of water that "sloshed" through the door seals, and over the visors. Inside the overhead stowage stayed dry, but water sloshed all along the top of the windshield and the doors...the doors were closed tight. When I moved it, I could hear water running somewhere around the cab drivers seat. Inspection indicated no obvious breaks in the seal of the overhead chassis and the top of the cab, and it is almost completely dry there from the overhang. Right now, I am stymied as to where this water is coming from. It is currently tarped to keep further water from getting in, but I need to get this resolved asap. Please help if you have any information.

Thank you,

Jon
Have you had it looked at yet? Mike Jankowski, referred to in this post needs to hear from others with this issue. 5742067625

Old 11-10-2015, 02:05 PM   #13

11/10. Day 12 out of 38 days of ownership, without use of my RV. The repair shop Dick Gore's in Jacksonville had my RV for 6 days and couldn't find a leak until Mike Jankowski authorized a sealtech leak test to be done. They tell me they found two small leaks over the driver side door and repaired them. I can't see any new caulking however. I picked the RV up and delivered it to Mercedes-Benz who then had to look into the airbag light which came on after the leak. MB had the vehicle until yesterday stating it was a loose connection in the wiring. They went to deliver the RV to me asking didn't I tell them the leak was fixed and then the service rep reported that when he moved the vehicle he got saturated and the RV is pouring down water all over him and the cab! It is now soaking wet and I've a call into Mike Jankowski again! Not good!

Old 11-22-2015, 02:54 PM   #14

leak

I also have had a similar leak only when it has rained extremely had in my 2014 R Solera, since I am not the original purchaser ( I bought it with 4,000 miles and 4 months old) I never had the option of a Warrenty. I have been all over the front cap and roof ,and have not been able to find where the water is coming in some time this winter I will get it to a local RV dealer and see hat he can find. but what I have done may work for you and anyone else with this problem. on the passenger side of the cab about 2 inches (low point of the cap} from the windshield I drilled a 1/8 hole through the cap and into the pocket under the overhead bed. this hole immediately started to drain the water from the cap, with in an hour water stopped flowing and for the last 6 months I have had no problems with the water buildup in the cap. I do check the hole once a month to make sure it is open. this does not fix the problem but makes sure I do not have sitting water in the cap that would cause mold .
7jackson11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, roo, roof