Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #1

Roof Problem

I was checking the roof prior to our last trip and found what looks like part of the roof deck trying to poke through the roofing material. It looked like it could tear a hole in the membrane, "no leaks yet", I cleaned the area with acetone first then denatured alcohol and put a piece of eternabond 4" x 8" over the area followed by a bead of dicor sealant. This defect is street side, where the the deck starts to angle towards the front cap. There is also an air bubble starting at that point about 1" wide and running the length of the RV along the rain gutter to the rear. We have several trips planed so I am in hopes on keeping this together and not leaking till the Rally in August and have the FR boys have a look at this. For sure this will require constant inspection till then. I was back on the roof yesterday, things look about the same. Has anybody else found anything similar or other defects on there roof. Our RV will be 1 year old on 12/28/14, we have the second yr warranty

Click image for larger version

Name:	Patch.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	535.0 KB
ID:	67242

Name:	Roof1.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	474.8 KB
ID:	67243

Name:	Roof2.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	435.0 KB
ID:	67244

Name:	roof3.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	546.0 KB
ID:	67245
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
Site Team

Bouncing down the road can only make things worse. I would contact my dealer and fr and get the ball rolling for repairs.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #3

Took the RV to the local FR dealer "Fun Time RV" so they could have a look at the roof issue. This is the same dealer that didn't want to work on the slide issue back in June. I was told where to leave it at the back of the lot that it would be looked at when they had a chance. I was looking for an opinion, they didn't go on the roof to have a quick look. They wanted me to leave it outside un covered with rain by the end of the week, no thank you. Who knows when they would have "had a chance". Took it back to my covered storage. Had another look myself, looks the same as it did before my recent 600+ mile trip. I E-Mailed M. Akins at FR warranty yesterday, no word yet.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:47 AM   #4

I may not be any help, but my roof is doing the same thing. My FR Flagstaff unit is ten years old, purchased used, and quite possible the condition was there when I purchased privately and I did not inspect that closely.
Ironic I was in roofing business for forty years.
Mine seems to be a delamination of the thin 1/8 luan sheathing installed over the rigid insulation.
I had no recourse given used bought privately and it has not gotten worse, however always a concern. When I push down or inadvertently step on it the thin luan crunches under me.....but no leak yet.
I too am curious what to do.
I sure would appreciate hearing what can be done as well.
I didn't attempt the Eternabond for fear of compounding the problem.
I have three areas with major bumps/delamination.
Yhanks in advance for any feed back
Poper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poper View Post
I may not be any help, but my roof is doing the same thing. My FR Flagstaff unit is ten years old, purchased used, and quite possible the condition was there when I purchased privately and I did not inspect that closely.
Ironic I was in roofing business for forty years.
Mine seems to be a delamination of the thin 1/8 luan sheathing installed over the rigid insulation.
I had no recourse given used bought privately and it has not gotten worse, however always a concern. When I push down or inadvertently step on it the thin luan crunches under me.....but no leak yet.
I too am curious what to do.
I sure would appreciate hearing what can be done as well.
I didn't attempt the Eternabond for fear of compounding the problem.
I have three areas with major bumps/delamination.
Yhanks in advance for any feed back
I went out to the RV today and got up on the roof to check things again. My area of concern is still the same as expected. I did some pressing down on that area and it is hard as a rock, no give what so ever. I guess it could have been that way since I took delivery but I don't think so. Still no word from Forest River, guess I'll wear out the phones trying to get the ball rolling on this roof thing. Who knows, it may hold together till the Goshen Rally in August.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #6

I got some e-mail back from FR this morning on my roof issue:

"The roof are made with no seam in top of roof this sometine cause the corner on these roof to have panel to break. All need done is to peel roof up and sand down wood. This is not something that we will do at the rally. Ethier have to bring it in the week before or week after"

My assumption is that it's OK to use the RV till I get it back to FR in August. I will be keeping a very close eye on this issue.

Tags
roo, roof