Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
bmg

Question Roof Question

A few days ago I cleaned the roof and everything seems to be in good shape. The dirt and mold came right off. I was planning to use a roof protectorant which was recommended by the dealer where we bought the TT and also the folks at my local CW. I been waiting for the weather to warm up a bit and was planning to apply the protectorant in a couple of days.

But on this forum someone posted a link re: roof treatment from the manufacturers of the rubber roofs. Here a quote from Dicor on roof maintenance

"The guarantee does not require the use of any protective 'roof treatment' or 'roof protector' product and recommends only cleaning. Unlike natural rubber (latex) or blends (tires & wiper blades), EPDM does not require periodic applications of any product to protect it from ultra-violet light or ozone.

The statement or implication that you should purchase and apply a product to "protect" your rubber roof the elements is misinformation. Buying and using such a product can be a mistake and may even damage the EPDM membrane."

http://www.mydrv.net/roof_maintenance.htm

The article goes on to say that petroleum distillates should not be used. That's understandable. What has me scratching my head is that the roof manufacturers on one hand seems to saying that anything beyond cleaning is not needed. On the other hand, they sell a roof treatment along with several others.

Which approach is right? If I keep it clean is that all that's needed? Or do I need to apply some type of protectorant 2-3 times a year? Any ideas?
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Often you have conflicting approaches to what is right. Your post said, "on the other hand they sell a roof treatment...." Who sells the treatment? Is it the roof manufacturer? Go to the web page or call the roof manufacture and see what is required of you to maintain warranty. I just bought a new router, (i know, nothing to do with roofs). The sales person tried their best to sell me a warranty. I had done my homework, and the router I bought is covered forever as long as I have the box and receipt. It is even covered for lightning or voltage spikes. I kept my money, the box, and the receipt. Do what is required.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
bmg

Where is was a little confused was Dicor's statement that no treatment was necessary in order to keep the warranty valid. However, if you talk to a dealer they will tell you need to use a protectorate after cleaning the roof. Interestingly, Dicor makes the most recommended cleaner and protector.

The warranty is not important to me since we bought a used TT and the roof warranty does not transfer. But I do want to keep the roof in the best condition possible. If cleaning is all I need to do that's fine. I just wanted to get some input as to what is the best procedure to follow.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I will add this, although it has little to do with RV roofs. In the auto industry, a "clear coat" paint job was supposed to prevent ever having to wax a vehicle again. Now did it live up to it's name? Not in my opinion, and personally I think "clear coat" takes more work than the older paint jobs of the 70's. May be just me. Also Dupont make many clear coat finishes, and also make clear coat waxes. Go Figure. Sold to the manufacturer as "worry free" sold to the public as "must use" this to keep as new. Clever marketing, at least.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #5

I think the extra treatments are not necessary to extend or preserve the roof but rather to help it to shed dirt and make it easier to clean.

Mike
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
I think the extra treatments are not necessary to extend or preserve the roof but rather to help it to shed dirt and make it easier to clean.

Mike
Thanks Mike, I hadn't thought about that aspect. Actually, the roof cleaned easier than I anticipated. Based on everyone's feedback so far I'm kinda leaning toward doing nothing.

It's interesting that the roof preservative manufacturers (Dicor included) seem to say that the roof requires more treatments if you live in a sunny climate. But one thing I've learned when cruising our local CW, there's a product or a gizmo for everything under the sun whether you need it or not.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #7

I just had my rubber roof cleaned, conditioned, and resealed. The products they used were all Dicor Brand. Dicor Sealant in Tubes of caulk gun. Dicor cleaner and conditioner.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote