Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2014, 11:31 PM   #1

Roof re-seal

After doing a final check on my less than one year old Tracer, I found cracked sealant at the roof/front cap joint. Now I have 0 faith in the rest of the sealant and want to re-seal all seams.
Now the issue, I'm meticulous and will spend the money for the best product, but am ignorant in the process or products since this is my first TT. I've scoured the site and found little step-by-step info on the process, so I'll just ask;
1) what's the process of removing the old? Just peel away or heat/peel, etc?
2) what needs to be done to the roof membrane to prepare it for adhesion of the new sealant? Scuff it up?apply a bonding agent?
3) if I want to have peace of mind for a few years, what's the best sealant I should use? I know I should check the sealant every time I'm on the roof, but I don't want to have to fix it often.
I've learned a ton so far from you guys, so I know I'll get through this. Thanks.

2014- 25
Agewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Research Eternabond or Dicor tape as a permanent solution instead of caulking.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Research Eternabond or Dicor tape as a permanent solution instead of caulking.

Dave

I always thought of the tape as a temporary fix. The though being that any spot along the tape that is not properly affixed will allow the surrounding area to degrade and fail (adhesion wise).
But, I'd like to hear other people with experience chime in on the issue.

2014- 25
Agewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:11 AM   #4
Take The Road Less Travld

From my research, you do not peel away the old sealing. Just use a self leveling dicor and pour over top. It will reseal the cracks and create a new layer on the rest. I was also told that you can put the dicor tape over the calking for a better longer lasting seal. I would do both
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:24 PM   #5

I am currently having the same issue with an older camper. Water leaking in from two places. I have an independent camper sales/repair place about 3 miles from my house so I called to see what it would cost to have it professionally done. They said they would remove my AC unit (where one of the two leaks is coming from), check for damage, and then reseal for $150. The other leak is over the bed in the back coming from one of the roof vents. He said that would probably be an additional $25-$50 depending on the extent of the leak.

My question is... Is this a fair price for the repairs? It seems like it is to me... But this is the first and only quote I have gotten. They are a very reputable dealer and do great work. So I am comfortable with that. Just want to know if the price is fair.
rrsabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:33 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsabin View Post
I am currently having the same issue with an older camper. Water leaking in from two places. I have an independent camper sales/repair place about 3 miles from my house so I called to see what it would cost to have it professionally done. They said they would remove my AC unit (where one of the two leaks is coming from), check for damage, and then reseal for $150. The other leak is over the bed in the back coming from one of the roof vents. He said that would probably be an additional $25-$50 depending on the extent of the leak.

My question is... Is this a fair price for the repairs? It seems like it is to me... But this is the first and only quote I have gotten. They are a very reputable dealer and do great work. So I am comfortable with that. Just want to know if the price is fair.
Seems like a fair price as that's only about 2 hours labor. The issue will be if they find any water damage to the underlying structure which will be much more to repair.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agewon View Post
I always thought of the tape as a temporary fix. The though being that any spot along the tape that is not properly affixed will allow the surrounding area to degrade and fail (adhesion wise).
But, I'd like to hear other people with experience chime in on the issue.

2014- 25
I'd take Dave's advice and research the Eternabond tape. Even though it is tape, its not a temporary patch. Its a much more permanent seal than lap sealant. Not cheap, and requires proper prep work, but is a very long lasting fix.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof