Old 07-14-2019, 04:54 PM   #1

Roof recoat Question

My camper is not a Forest River but hopefully I can get help here. Little to no info on my 2009 Sun Valley Roadrunner online. I have a roof leak. Bought it that way. Took it to a RV repair place. Leaked when we got it back. Leaked when we got it back the second time. Business closed over the winter not that I would trust him again. Leak is on curb side front corner.

I can peel the coating off he put on easily. He only put it about 9" in from all the edges. My roof is curved. I am peeling off what I can.

Because of time restraints, do you see a problem if I only coat the side that is leaking now and slightly over the top of the crown. When I get time(soon weather permitting) do the other side.

The issue with time is pulling all the crap the "repair guy" put on. I had just planned on washing and recoating the whole roof, not pulling off everything he put on.

Pictures show the size pieces I pulled of easily. I think the water may be getting in from at the screws that attach the drip/awning rail. The roof looked sealed up well after we got it back and the amount of leakage did slow down drastically. I was planning on sealing around the screws that attach the rail. If the are sealed and the coating covers the gap from the roof to the drip rail, I THINK that should stop any leaks from that area.

Does caulk you use on roofs and around windows dry hard or does it stay kind of soft. The camper repair thing is new to me, we were tent people but because physical limitations of my wife has now, we are camper people now. Now if talking about old Jeeps, I got some answers there.

What do you all think?Click image for larger version

Name:	20190714_135355.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	209881Click image for larger version

Name:	20190714_135908.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	209882

pajeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:06 PM   #2

As bad as that looks, I would consider calling those people that redo and guarantee for life.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:00 PM   #3

Unfortunately I don't have that type of money after paying the jackwagon who "fixed" it the first time. Not sure I could find one that could work on it anytime soon. When we got at the place I wanted to take it to could even give me an estimate for a month. Have I gotten an estimate from him I probably would have waited for him even if it was more money because they were a very established business. The place I went to had been in business for several years. He talked a good talk but didn't walk the walk. The more I talk to him the more I understand why you went out business
Old 07-14-2019, 07:37 PM   #4

Get some edpm tape from your local home center. Then replace the roof when you can afford it. I think I could replace the roof, the rubber anyway, for a couple hundred myself. Closer to 1k at a dealership.
EDPM calk will help as well, and the tape needs to be used with a primer/cleaner. Talk to the guys at the help desk, but just tell them its a white rubber roof. As soom as you say it is a camper they will all run away.
hazmat456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
As bad as that looks, I would consider calling those people that redo and guarantee for life.

RV Armor. Expensive but no more leaks!
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:05 PM   #6

RV Armor is overkill for my camper. Its would be like spend $100,000 for a pool at a $40,000 house Now if I had a big diesel pusher that had a leak, that would be another story. It sounds great just not worth it on my camper, it doesn't make money sense.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:13 PM   #7

Any dealer is going to be well over $1000 to replace the roof around here, probably closer to $2000.

I think I am going to seal the drip rail screws and coat that half of the roof. When time and weather permits, do the other half. I just don't have time to do both halves as I have a trip planned in 5 days. I am going to use Henry 887 Tropi-cool. I have heard nothing but good things about it. I did find a screw hole in the drip rail that had no screw and didn't appear to be sealed, certainly could be a source for a leak. I need to squirt some caulk through the hole and seal the hole in the rail.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:30 PM   #8
Coach

Does eternabond work with your roof material?

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:43 PM   #9

Yes, the roof is epdm
Old 07-14-2019, 09:51 PM   #10
Coach

For a cheap temporary fix, eternabond and your favorite self leveling lap sealant will probably get you water tight. As long as you take your time doing good prep work, it would last a while.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof