Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2015, 11:05 AM   #1

Roof Repair

I understand the roof material on my 2006 Forester is fiber glass. I have a soft spot under the fiber glass on the front right where the roof meets the front cap from a previous leak. Every one has told me it would be to expensive to repair the soft spot so I should keep a eye on it be leave it alone. Has anyone ever tried to inject some form of floor leveler under the fiber glass to strengthen the roof in that area.
carlcaudill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:21 AM   #2

If not very big and the leak has been fixed? I would not mess with it..
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:34 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to chuckw5kav
See my post

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...let-74168.html

You may think you have stopped the leak but have
you, look at what it take's for a new roof. I like you
had a few concerns in the same spot you were
talking with my 5'er

Ugh
W5KAV
Last years Camping 125 days
This years Camping 150 an still going
chuckw5kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:50 AM   #4

1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:10 AM   #5

Nn b

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Big Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:04 AM   #6

Youtube video

Fairly good video. I would make a few recomendations. Id stay with the water base glue the oem used. You put it down wet and thick, roll out the rubber and let it dry and absorb into the wood. The next day you can see the osb imprint in the rubber and its down good. The surface is so irregular that the contact cement is not the best choice. Secondly, try to get as much wood off the rubber as you can. Those strips of osb left behind make for an irregular surface. Finally, chamfer the edges of the osb where the rubber goes over onthe sides of the coach. That sharp edge will cut the rubber over time and ruin what would otherwise be a good repair. I liked the eternabond on the termination....
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlcaudill View Post
I understand the roof material on my 2006 Forester is fiber glass. I have a soft spot under the fiber glass on the front right where the roof meets the front cap from a previous leak. Every one has told me it would be to expensive to repair the soft spot so I should keep a eye on it be leave it alone. Has anyone ever tried to inject some form of floor leveler under the fiber glass to strengthen the roof in that area.
From my involvement with fiberglass boats:

If the roof is indeed fiberglass there is a core material underneath the thin fiberglass to provide rigidity. There should also be a layer of fiberglass on the underside of the core. Commonly used core materials include balsa, foam, and (unlikely in an RV where light weight is critical) plywood. The panel's structural integrity relies on the core being intact and the fiberglass-to-core bond remaining sound. Localized failure of either causes "soft" spots. Typically, the bond failure or core rot will spread with time and cause failure of the entire panel.

If a portion of the core has been infiltrated by water, ideally that section of core should be replaced, and the fiberglass skins (both) repaired with new fiberglass. It's not difficult work, but it is time consuming and messy. Getting gel coat color to match exactly is very difficult - you are often better off painting the entire roof with a polyurethane or epoxy paint when done.

I have seen attempts to inject "Git Rot" or similar epoxy mixtures into the failed core section - but never with long term success. The injections never get all the core where the water damage has occurred. And you still need to seal the injection holes, and pray that the fiberglass-to-core bond is still sound everywhere.

just my experiences with boat repairs
Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, roo, roof, roof repair