Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #1

Roof Reseal Costs, looks like a small leak.

I am going to have the roof resealed on our TT due a small leak I am unable to find, and I was wondering if anyone else has had this done recently and an idea of what it cost you.

We have a 2005 model 29 foot Salem LE 29BHSS, I have been quoted the following to remove and replace all old sealant from around all roof fixtures (antenna, vents, ac, etc.) and around all egdes where the roof meets the sides and ends. I bought this used and as far as i know there has never been any roof maintenance done.

Camping World $700.00, leak test $99.00
PPL Motorhomes $800.00
Mobile RV repair $400.00 w/90 day labor warranty
a different mobile RV repair $650.00

We have had alot of hard rain and high winds in the last few days, when i went to check on the TT in storage I found the master bed mattress to be damp and about a 1/8 cup of water on the night stand next to the bed. The strange thing is the walls are dry, ceiling is dry, carpets are dry, window curtains are dry, there are no visible signs of water that ran down any wall or coming through the ceiling. There is obviously a leak but UI can not find it. I got out a ladder and I can not see any tears or damage to the roof either.

So I am thinking the wind must have been forced the water in through a seam on the roof and found its way into the master bedroom. there is a ceiling seam above the bed with a trim piece that covers the seam of the two ceiling panels and I guess it is running out there on dripping down onto the bed, but how is it getting onto the nightstand also?

Any help, information, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

For those kind of prices, you might be better off going with eternabond.

Check the caulking around the front marker lights. I had a leak on my front wall that I thought was on the roof, but after recaulking every little thing that looked suspicious on the roof, I still had the leak. I found a tiny crack in a front marker light, and after recaulking that, the leak stopped.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #3

well for now I have a tarp I am going to put over the front end of the roof to prevent any further water intrusion, but I am needing a permanent fix. This close to Xmas and the holidays I do not want to spend 400-800$$ to hopefully fix a leak i can not find.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
Wanna Be Camper

Do you have a roof vent in the bedroom that may be leaking? Not sure on your layout.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:18 PM   #5

Have you thought of redoing your roof yourself ??? i redid my last one, had a few little cracks and it came out great, I used Dicor White Rubber Roof Acrylic Coating. Helps seal small cracks and pin holes.. for a roof your size you would need Two gallons and one Gallon cleaner, Cost would be around $150 to $200 and You do it yourself

Hatchet
Chevy 2500HD Diesel
07 SandPiper F305

Days camped 2011 "3" so far,
Hatchet58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchet58 View Post
Have you thought of redoing your roof yourself ??? i redid my last one, had a few little cracks and it came out great, I used Dicor White Rubber Roof Acrylic Coating. Helps seal small cracks and pin holes.. for a roof your size you would need Two gallons and one Gallon cleaner, Cost would be around $150 to $200 and You do it yourself
N0......... There are no vents or antennas or anything at all on the roof over the master bedroom area. This is why it is such a strange leak, there is no where obvious for the water to come in. I am thinking a seam seperated somewhere along the edge where the rubber roof meets the aluminum sides or front cap. There are only marker lights on the exterior and I am going ot take anpther look and see if i can spot an opening.

I found a different mobile RV service that will do a leak check for 75.00 including the service call. It may be worth the 75.00 to see what they can find. They charge 10.00/linear foot to reseal the roof (parts and labor included) so the worse case scenario is 290.00 for the reseal and 75.00 for the service call/leak check = 365.00 + tax

I hate to spend the cash but I can not find the leak
Old 11-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
The Old Man

On my Flagstaff the channels for the A/C vents run the entire length of the roof from front back. Perhaps water is getting into that channel from somewhere else and running along the ceiling and down to the BR area. This could be the case even if there are no A/C vents over the bed as the water could find a seam and start to drip there. Just a thought...

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis View Post
On my Flagstaff the channels for the A/C vents run the entire length of the roof from front back. Perhaps water is getting into that channel from somewhere else and running along the ceiling and down to the BR area. This could be the case even if there are no A/C vents over the bed as the water could find a seam and start to drip there. Just a thought...
The AC is ducted and there is a vent dirctly above the bed, but when i checked it it was dry. Also checked inthe light fixtures above hte bed and they are dry.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchet58 View Post
yes that is an option, I would like to do it a the storage location but they do not want work done on the premises. I will have to tow it home and study the problem, NO rain for the next week predicted. I am having the mobile guys come out on Friday and do the leak check for $75.00. I will hopefully know then what needs to be done and if it is a DIY repair.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:59 AM   #10

look very closely at the strips that cover the seams on the ceiling. if u have a little black along them, that is the leak (could be running quiet a distance to get there though).

unrelated, i had a shower sky light leak and that was all i could find on the inside. expected to see discolored ceiling but didn't. by the way, on mine that area, along the seam cover was damp but didn't look it.

when mine was 3 yrs old the dealer resealed the end caps saying i was going to have a problem there. in my inspections, i didn't see a problem.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #11

Well here is what I had done. I called Peach Forest Mobile Rv Repair in Conroe Texas, they arrived at the scheduled time and acted professionally. They came out and cleaned and conditioned the roof, and reealed all edges and around all fixtures on the roof. I paid them $10 dollars a linear foot (parts and labor) plus 75.00 for the service call and leak check. There was a leak around the TV antenna the sealant was cracked and also at the front seam where the rubber roof membrane meets he aluminum the sealant was cracked and had small gaps of missing sealeant. The Roof is clean and white again, and the roof inspection revelaed no problems. The guys said the roof was very solid and in great condition.

Now we will wait for the next heavy rain strorm and see if this indeed fixed the problem. They give a 90 day warranty on the reseal, and I am sure if it is going to leak or still leaks 90 days will be plenty of time to find out.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:29 PM   #12

I am wondering how many of you out there cover your rig in the winter and when the weather is bad so it protects the roof, we live in Co. we don't get a lot of snow but, enough that it will stay on the roof for long periods of time. I have thought about buying a cover and want to find out others experience with them
hihosilver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:34 PM   #13

I have only heard that covers are difficult to put on. in the Houston climate I have outside uncovered storage.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #14

Cool Covering for roofs

I think my best bet is to head to Texas for the winter and forget all this winter weather blues! LIving in the far west part of Co. not the harsh winters of many parts of state but, still some ice, snow and cold YUCK
hihosilver09 is offline   Reply With Quote