Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2018, 05:26 PM   #1

Roof ?s newbie

Hello!

Proud owner of a new to me 2012 Salem Cruise Lite 261bhxl. Been searching everywhere for owners manual or official published docs by Forest River and I’m coming up short.

I’d like to know if anyone can confirm which type of rubber roof this camper should have?

Secondly, I’m currently cleaning all the lap seals and applying dicor lap sealant. I’m using dicor rubber roof cleaner in the spray bottle. Scrubbing well w a light brush. Wiping w a wet towel multiple times and I’m rinsing the towel between wipes. I don’t want to rinse w a hose bc I can see a few cracks in the current lap seal and I don’t want to get water in the camper. Is it necessary to also wipe w alcohol before applying the new lap sealant?

Third ?, whatbis the best sealant to use on the sides along trim mounding? I’ve got a few spots where I’d like to add some sealant but I wasn’t sure what to use? CW guy said silicone but I’m not a huge fan of that stuff. Any advice?
jkrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:44 PM   #2

In general silicon contaminates the surface permenanrly. Nothing else will stick to it. I too am not a fan.

Rubber roofs are sort of unique that connections are essentially contact cement. Any connectin needs frequent inspections. Unlike plastic systems that can be chemically welded.

I use one brand chalk, cleaner and the tape for repairs. Be neat. Rubber roofs are sort of fragile.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:46 PM   #3
Just as confused as you

If your roof surface is smooth then it's EPDM (rubber). If it has a texture like orange peel then it's TPO roofing. You are not supposed to use dicor on TPO. The best you can do for either type is buy Eternabond tape, clean and apply as per the instructions. 10 year warranty and better than lap sealant.

Whatever you do, do not use silicon or Flex Seal anywhere on your RV.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:01 PM   #4

Ok, I have TPO then bc it is textured.

The Dicor cleaner says safe for all rubber roofs so I think that is fine.

The dicor lap sealant says something to the effect of not for use with all types of tpo roofing. There is an * then if you read the fine print it says will alter the look of the roof cosmetically but will not damage the roof or function. Is this what you are referring to? I definitely don’t want to use it if there is something better for tpo roofs.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2018, 06:12 PM   #5

Oh another question I forgot, is my roof walkable? I’m afraid to get up there to test it ��
Old 07-22-2018, 06:14 PM   #6
Just as confused as you

I'm not sure why your not supposed to use dicor. The instructions for my Alpha TPO roof specifically states not to use dicor lap sealant. What I have found is below from both Alpha Systems and Dicor.

ALPHA SYSTEMS ROOF MEMBRANE

Clean areas to be repaired with household cleaner such as Spic-n-Span or Top Job.

To patch holes:

Alpha-Ply
Alpha’s PAG-1 Primer Activator
Alpha’s P1671 Rubber Splice Adhesive

Alpha Systems 1010 Non-Sag Sealant

To repair loose or holes in caulking: use Alpha Systems 1010 Sealant

Dicor Products:

"If it is a solid color all the way through the membrane, or if it
has a fleece backing, it is TPO. If your TPO has a fleece backing
then Lap Sealant will probably be the right choice. But if your
TPO does not have a fleece backing then Dicor Ultra Sealant
System should be used."
Old 07-22-2018, 06:19 PM   #7
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrose View Post
Oh another question I forgot, is my roof walkable? I’m afraid to get up there to test it ��

Yes, you should be good. If you ever see when the manufacturers are installing things on the roofs they will have 2 to 4 people up there. If you want to be cautious then use pieces of 1/4 or 3/8 inch plywood. I go on my roof several times a year for inspection and never had a problem. My butt weighs 195#.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:24 PM   #8

Roof ?s newbie

On your wall seams use Geocel ProFlex. It’s available from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Geocel-28100V...lex+rv+sealant

I pasted the link to their clear sealant. They also have colors.

My experience with Eternbond wasn’t good so I tend to be one of the lone voices that advises against it and would suggest sticking with the Alpha product specified for your roof.
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:40 PM   #9
Just as confused as you

jkrose, I thought I had pics of my roof after I covered the seams with Eternabond but I can't seem to find them.

What I did was follow the directions that came with the roll of tape. Cleaning about 3" at a time then washing the mineral spirits off with de-natured alcohol. I applied the Eternabond right over the lap sealant already there. Starting on the rear seam I applied a 6" x 8'3" piece. Went up the sides with a 3" roll overlapping the rear seam. I put the 3" side piece into the gutter so it covered the side trim screws. At the front I used another 6" x 8'3" piece overlapping the side pieces. I rolled the Eternabond down with a 3" steel roller as I went along. After all of it was down I went over again with the roller. The job took 2 days for washing the roof, cleaning with mineral spirits and de-natured alcohol and applying the Eternabond. It's been on for 2 seasons and looks good.

BTW, I applied the Eternabond as a preventive measure instead of needing to. Other site members have done it before their RV was a year old.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:44 PM   #10

Well, I really appreciate the advice but now I’m more confused. I can’t tell if there is felt backing on my tpo roof. The roof is in great shape. The current lap seals are all pliable just a bit dirty and I see a few places I think are weak spots for water intrusion. So I was hoping to apply self-leveling sealant after a good clean job. I’m not wanting to rip up anything or remove old sealant since it is all still functional. I don’t have time before I travel for work and our first trip to use eternabond tape. I may give that a try down the road though.

Thanks!

Any ideas how to verify which type of tpo roof I have so I can select the right dicor lap sealant? I
Old 07-22-2018, 06:57 PM   #11

You should only pull the old stuff off the roof if it’s already peeling away. Otherwise clean it with denatured alcohol and apply new sealant to fill in the cracks or voids.

Based on your description of an orange peel texture I’d say you have a TPO roof by Alpha Systems. You can contact them directly and order sealant. As others advised, stay away from silicon sealer for anything on the exterior of your RV.

Link to Alpha Systems: http://www.alphasystemsinc.com/Home
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:02 PM   #12
Just as confused as you

Here's a couple of documents I found. One tells you how to determing which type of TPO roof you have. The other outlines some problems with TPO and sealants.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EPDM-TPO_Discovery_Guide.pdf (636.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: pdf Dicor, Pro-Flex and TPO Roofs.pdf (32.3 KB, 35 views)
Old 07-22-2018, 07:05 PM   #13
Just as confused as you

Just so you understand each manufacturer is going to promote their own sealant.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:16 PM   #14

youtube video determine your roof type

https://youtu.be/KL5qJw397Rc

Eternabond...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nce-90060.html

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:26 PM   #15

Thank you all so much! I love this forum!

I pulled the vent in bathroom and if I’m gonna use a dicor lap product, I need their ultra line. That is not what I purchased! So glad I checked before moving forward.

I wish I knew which manufacturer made my tpo roof. But I think if I go w the dicor ultra line or another maker’s too specific lap sealant I should be good.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
jkrose, I thought I had pics of my roof after I covered the seams with Eternabond but I can't seem to find them.

What I did was follow the directions that came with the roll of tape. Cleaning about 3" at a time then washing the mineral spirits off with de-natured alcohol. I applied the Eternabond right over the lap sealant already there. Starting on the rear seam I applied a 6" x 8'3" piece. Went up the sides with a 3" roll overlapping the rear seam. I put the 3" side piece into the gutter so it covered the side trim screws. At the front I used another 6" x 8'3" piece overlapping the side pieces. I rolled the Eternabond down with a 3" steel roller as I went along. After all of it was down I went over again with the roller. The job took 2 days for washing the roof, cleaning with mineral spirits and de-natured alcohol and applying the Eternabond. It's been on for 2 seasons and looks good.

BTW, I applied the Eternabond as a preventive measure instead of needing to. Other site members have done it before their RV was a year old.
I’d love to see your pic of how you applied the eternabond! I’m trying to picture how you did the side pieces especially.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:06 PM   #17
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrose View Post
I’d love to see your pic of how you applied the eternabond! I’m trying to picture how you did the side pieces especially.

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. The internet at the campground is not the best, even when I use my phone for a hotspot (it took 20min to upload these pics). Here is some pics I just took. You will notice a few places I used self-leveling Dicor on the edges. This is where I wasn't happy how the Eternabond laid down. I thought if the dicor caused any problems I could clean it off and redo with the suggested sealant. The piece on the front I had problems getting the bubbles out, the eternabond instructions say to put a small cut in the bubble and cover the cut with dicor.

Please ignore the fact I need to clean the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3in Over Trim Left.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	180923   Click image for larger version

Name:	3in Over Trim Right.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	180924   Click image for larger version

Name:	6in Over Front Cap Seam.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	180925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Cap 3in over 6in Left.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	180926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Cap 3in Over 6in Right.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	180927  

Old 07-23-2018, 06:30 PM   #18

Thanks Scrapper! That makes complete sense now!

Btw, I’m learning that camper sales/service places actually just recommend about anything. I called three different places in the Nashville area asking if they stocked a lap sealant that was safe for tpo roofs and all said, “we just use dicor or alpha systems whichever we have on hand and it always works fine.” At two places the parts guys had never heard dicor shouldn’t be used for some types of TPO. ��

Tags
newbie, roo, roof