Old 08-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #1

Exclamation Roof Seal

I have a '98 Forest River class A that I purchased 5 years ago. Each year I wash the roof using a pressure washer, brush and mild soap. After washing I remove any old loose sealant around vents etc and apply new sealant.

This year when I got on the roof I heard a "crackling" noise, much like the sound of old weathered plywood breaking. I always assumed that my roof was metal with a rubber (or something similar) membrane over the top. I am now thinking that it is plywood covered with a membrane and wondering if the membrane has lost its integrity. There are NO visible cuts or holes, but there is some discoloration from mold/mildew that has always been present. I live in Oregon so winters tend to be wet and long. I do not have the option of storing the MH inside. My questions are:

can anyone tell me the make-up of the roof on my rig (metal, wood etc)?

Can the membrane loose its integrity and begin seeping or leaking?

Should I try to seal the entire roof?

There are no signs of leaking on the inside.

thanks all.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Using the pressure washer on a rubber roof is not a good thing. Does it look to be giving away under your feet? It's very possible that both the membrane and the wood paneling in the roof are both damaged. There's always styrofoam in the roof construction as well that can be crunching under your feet.
You may want to take it to a service center to be sure the membrane is not damaged to the point where it may need to be replaced. It may only need to be resealed though.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:54 AM   #3

Have to agree with cfsoistman, never use a presure washer on a rubber roof. Ditto on taking to a repair facility to be looked at.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:39 AM   #4
Computer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playin Mantis View Post
I have a '98 Forest River class A that I purchased 5 years ago. Each year I wash the roof using a pressure washer, brush and mild soap. After washing I remove any old loose sealant around vents etc and apply new sealant.

This year when I got on the roof I heard a "crackling" noise, much like the sound of old weathered plywood breaking. I always assumed that my roof was metal with a rubber (or something similar) membrane over the top. I am now thinking that it is plywood covered with a membrane and wondering if the membrane has lost its integrity. There are NO visible cuts or holes, but there is some discoloration from mold/mildew that has always been present. I live in Oregon so winters tend to be wet and long. I do not have the option of storing the MH inside. My questions are:

can anyone tell me the make-up of the roof on my rig (metal, wood etc)?

Can the membrane loose its integrity and begin seeping or leaking?

Should I try to seal the entire roof?

There are no signs of leaking on the inside.

thanks all.
I got the same problem. did you ever find out what the issue was? I think i just need to re caulk around where the caulking is cracked, but i'm wondering if the plywood underneath needs to be replaced in one spot.

2006 Rockwood 8314SS Ultralight Trailer

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Laramie 5.9 Diesel

1996 Chevy Tahoe 2 Door Lifted 4 Inches. 5.7 V8

Thousand Trails Member www.1000trails.com

Out of Elk Grove California, near Sacramento.
Jimmy-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
Knower of Some Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-D View Post
I got the same problem. did you ever find out what the issue was? I think i just need to re caulk around where the caulking is cracked, but i'm wondering if the plywood underneath needs to be replaced in one spot.
FR uses Alpha roof membrane. It has a felt backer. Beware - Alpha says (and I find it to be partially true) that you can't remove just a section of the roof material without replacing all of it. It might not stick back down properly with that felt backer.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:40 AM   #6
Computer Guy

Thanks Puma, I will probably just recaulk everything up and hope that it doesn't leak anymore.

2006 Rockwood 8314SS Ultralight Trailer

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Laramie 5.9 Diesel

1996 Chevy Tahoe 2 Door Lifted 4 Inches. 5.7 V8

Thousand Trails Member www.1000trails.com

Out of Elk Grove California, near Sacramento.
Jimmy-D is offline   Reply With Quote