Old 06-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #1
Roof seal and repair

Our friends own 2004 FR Sierra. The rubber roof has a tear in the front about 6 inches long. Currently they are using gorilla tape to keep water out.
There seals around all vents need re-done as well.
My husband and I are planning on helping them but need some answers:
  1. 1. What should we use to repair the rubber roof rip? (eternalbond tape?)
    2. What is the best way to remove old caulk w/out damaging rubber roof? (plan on resealing w/ Dicor Self Leveling Lap Sealant)
    3. What should we use to clean and UV seal their roof when finish caulking? (they are thinking about painting the roof w/ Rubber Roof Top Coat)

These will all be good to know when our camper needs it done as well.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233S
2013 Toyota Tundra 5.8L V8 Crewmax
2 girls and 2 dogs
ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #2
At Christmas we had an ice storm and 4 branches went through my roof and Lap sealant and eternalbond tape whas how I fixed the holes.
Ice Storm clean up and Repairs started

Think about things before you do them make life easier not harder.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:54 PM   #3
For the 6 inch long tear I would use the Eternabond tape making sure that the repair piece is at least 4" longer than the tear. Eternabond tends to shrink some once applied, not much but some. To remove the old Dicor lap sealant I have found that warming up the old sealant helps to loosen it. IF you don't have a heat gun a hair dryer would work although much slower. I just warm up the old sealant and use a piece of plastic to remove the old sealant. Most auto parts houses have "Bondo spreaders" which are ideal for this. After removing the old sealant use Denatured Alcohol to clean all surfaces before applying new sealant. As far as sealing the entire roof- I haven't done that one yet but have heard many good statements on a product called "Liquid Rubber".
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:24 AM   #4
To install the Eternabond tape it is recommended to apply pressure using a roller. Here is an inexpensive example of one that I have used. It is advertised for installing sound deadening mat, but worked great for applying Eternabond:

Wooden Car Audio Sound Deadener Deadening Mat Application Installation Roller | eBay
2010 Georgetown 373
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote

repair, roo, roof