Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2016, 03:07 AM   #1

Roof seam peelback

Salem 26 TBUD
After only 2 years and maybe 4000 miles we noticed water in our front bedroom. I looked on the roof and the membrane is pulled out of the front seam where the track holds it in place. Due to more rain on the way and service centers closed, we had to install "wet or dry" high grade caulk to prevent further damage. The original globs of caulk on the roof peeled off like an egg on a Teflon pan. There was no adhesion to the roof membrane. Anyone else having major roof peel back issues? Calling our dealer when they open.
tccommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:46 AM   #2
Site Team

Since it's 2 years old it's most likely out of warranty. You might want to consider repairing it with Eternabond tape for a permanent fix.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:11 AM   #3

Can you remove the track and add new glue under the membrane?
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccommish View Post
Salem 26 TBUD
After only 2 years and maybe 4000 miles we noticed water in our front bedroom. I looked on the roof and the membrane is pulled out of the front seam where the track holds it in place. Due to more rain on the way and service centers closed, we had to install "wet or dry" high grade caulk to prevent further damage. The original globs of caulk on the roof peeled off like an egg on a Teflon pan. There was no adhesion to the roof membrane. Anyone else having major roof peel back issues? Calling our dealer when they open.

Similar thing happened to my friend. Last year he picked up his 2016 Coachman Liberty edition TT that was just built and shipped to the dealer. First night out in Myrtle Beach thunder storm, gallons of water poured into the closets and soaked the mattress, rugs and storage compartment. They used the wrong type of caulk, peeled away easily and large areas with no caulk.
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Since it's 2 years old it's most likely out of warranty. You might want to consider repairing it with Eternabond tape for a permanent fix.
Does the roof have a warranty? My 2015 Palomino Puma 32DBKS has a 12 year roof warranty. Maybe I am assuming that problem would be covered when, in reality it would not.
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:51 AM   #6

This happened to me with our three-month-old TT. Started billowing up while on a 4750-mile trip. Took it to the dealer after return. They fixed it under warranty by gluing it back down and installing a second track next to the first for insurance with plenty of caulk. Said it would have cost several hundred dollars to fix if it had been out of warranty. Factory apparently botched the glue job at the front.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2016, 12:49 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilcin View Post
Does the roof have a warranty? My 2015 Palomino Puma 32DBKS has a 12 year roof warranty. Maybe I am assuming that problem would be covered when, in reality it would not.
The roofing material has a 12 year warranty, but not the installation. Since this is an installation issue, it would fall under the 1 year warranty from Forest River. Unless you got the 2nd year factory warranty. Then depending on the exact date, it may be covered.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
X2
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:10 AM   #9

Leaking roof forward seam

We had the 2nd year extended warranty, but of course it expired in April. Going to a dealer today to inquire about the 12 year warranty.
Thanks for the replies. Maybe if enough people have the same issue, a class action lawsuit or recall is in order.
tccommish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof