Old 06-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
Never Leak RV Roofing
Roof Seam Sealing

Originally Posted by NotNearlyNormal View Post
I am about to do some preventative maintenance on the roof of my Cardinal and am wondering whether I need to remove all of the caulking that is there now at the joint between roof caps and roof. I assume that this is additional lap sealant and that there may already be Eternabond strips underneath it. I believe Forest River uses it in their manufacturing process. I am concerned that trying to get rid of all the caulk will cause me to tear part of the rubber roofing. I have talked to some that say they just clean it up and apply new caulk over top. Thoughts?
If your caulking is cracked and split I would take it off with a dull putty knife it comes up pretty easy, then clean with acetone and a rag, tape seams with 4" Tape-Kote fibered backed seam tape then seal with Safe-T-Plex Acrylic Elastomeric RV Roof Coating, Prime the rest of your roof then coat with Safe-T-Plex Acrylic Elastomeric RV Roof Coating made with 100% acrylic resin, safe-t-plex will never dry out, chalk, or crack resistant to impact, temperature extremes. 92% reflective, self cleaning, no need to re-coat and provides long term maintenance free protection up to 20 years or more.
rvroofer is offline   Reply With Quote