Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #1

Roof Snow Load/jacks down???

We have a Rockwood 2604. In the past with other trls I've always put the jacks down to share snow load with the axles. With the 2604 it seems that this is even more critical. The trl has a dry weight of 5800, and a GVW 6600, that's only an 800 lbs load. With the roof being 208 sq ft,(approx) and a snow load of 20lbs per sq ft (avg) that's a load of 1460 lbs, well over the axle capacity, and yes some of the load will be on the tongue jack too. With the torsion bar suspention I can't see where it'd be good for it to set all winter with about a 120% load on the axles. Have even consider placement of blocks under the frame between the axles to help with the snow load on the axles. I picked a snow load of 20lbs per sq ft as average, anyone shoveling wet snow knows that it can be closer to 30 lbs per sq ft. I know the snow load on the roof is not a real issue per sq ft, but over all gross snow load could be an issue. Thoughts/recomendations???

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
(Kim)

This is somewhat off topic BUT......
I called FR months ago and talked to Mike in the Rockwood division, I was curious about the CCC and it's limits, mine like yours had only 818lbs available.
My concern was the extra weight of people when we were all in the trailer added to the weight of our cargo and water, which would make us over our GVWR.
Mike told me that the CCC was only really concerned when towing and that they could not have my trailer with sleeping capacities for 6-7 people and realistically stay below the GVWR when camping.
I think everything should be within reason and when camping we use the jacks to stabilize and take some weight off the axles.

Idk if what he told me is correct or not......( I am sure someone will let me know), but if it is then it might help answer your question.
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote