Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2018, 08:33 AM   #1

Roof Spots mold?

My TT roof (EPDM I believe) has small grey circles appearing everywhere on it which I assume is mold.

In the three months I have had it, this is the second time I have cleaned it with the Dicor product and finished with the Dicor UV treatment. The spots don’t seem to go away, may get a little lighter.

I did not inspect the roof prior to purchasing so not sure how much was there prior. I’m sure the dealer didn’t care about it while sitting on their lot.

Is this normal and to be expected, gradually graying the entire white roof or is something wrong here?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1536846528.272297.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	186336Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1536846608.179178.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	186337
2ondago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ondago View Post
My TT roof (EPDM I believe) has small grey circles appearing everywhere on it which I assume is mold.

In the three months I have had it, this is the second time I have cleaned it with the Dicor product and finished with the Dicor UV treatment. The spots don’t seem to go away, may get a little lighter.

I did not inspect the roof prior to purchasing so not sure how much was there prior. I’m sure the dealer didn’t care about it while sitting on their lot.

Is this normal and to be expected, gradually graying the entire white roof or is something wrong here?Attachment 186336Attachment 186337
I detail RV's and have found that this is a very common occurrence depending on the conditions of where it's parked. I've seen roofs where the front half is white and the back under the shade of a tree is virtually black! Once the roof is stained it's pretty much impossible to remove the stains completely. I've found DAWN Concentrate with any Scotch Bright type pad works pretty well at getting them to lighten up.
namgrunt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #3

Wash your roof, let it dry. Get a product called WET AND FORGET. Use as directed and it will work. Do not rinse off, spray on as directed and let dry.
I use it on my awning too, too and bottom.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:40 AM   #4

Quote:

Is this normal and to be expected, gradually graying the entire white roof or is something wrong here?Attachment 186336Attachment 186337
Normal . clean well be careful not to scrub with to harsh a brush you don't want to remove the roof material trying to get a black spot off .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:55 AM   #5

Quote:

Your not far from me !! Our humidity make it worse. Get WET and FORGET.
YOU will thank me. Use as directed, spray on, let dry. In couple weeks you’ll be happy. Just let the rain rinse it off. I do it once a year. I try to do it when it’s not going to rain for couple days. Try it.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:05 AM   #6

I've been fighting a mold infestation under a bathroom sink. In researching I've discovered a product that kills mold dead without harming the substrate or pets. Concrobium is the name and it's sold at Home Depot. Active ingredient is Sodium Carbonate. Spray on and make sure the mold is wet. Wipe it down after it's sat for a few minutes and let dry. To make it penetrate a little better one could wipe down the spots first with a solution of dawn and water to "wet" the mold.

Another "home remedy" is Baking Soda dissolved in water and sprayed on the mold. Of course Chlorine and Chlorine based mold removers for showers are on the shelf but I've found that chlorine and rubber roof's don't play well together. The surface layer can be damaged from the chlorine which is a nasty "Oxidizer".

According to the label on the Concrobium, it also prevents future mold, I guess until it's totally washed off by weather.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:46 AM   #7

I've been using Wet &Forget for a few years on my awning, looks clean as new.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimchow View Post
i've been using wet &forget for a few years on my awning, looks clean as new.
👍👍👍
Old 09-13-2018, 06:39 PM   #9

Thanks to all for replies. I received an email reply from Dicor rep. Suggested Tilex or a product called RMR86. Odd??
Old 09-13-2018, 06:48 PM   #10

Good luck ! Use WET AND FORGET.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon Blue View Post
Your not far from me !! Our humidity make it worse. Get WET and FORGET.

YOU will thank me. Use as directed, spray on, let dry. In couple weeks you’ll be happy. Just let the rain rinse it off. I do it once a year. I try to do it when it’s not going to rain for couple days. Try it.

Does it remove spots as well or do I need to do that first then use this as a preventative? I noticed a lot of the cleaners being recommended including the RMR86 and Tilex are chlorine based. Not sure that is good for a EPDM roof.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:06 PM   #12
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

Titanium dioxide seems to be irregular. I work for one of the major manufactures of and I have never seen. More to come.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Does it remove spots as well or do I need to do that first then use this as a preventative? I noticed a lot of the cleaners being recommended including the RMR86 and Tilex are chlorine based. Not sure that is good for a EPDM roof.
You don’t need to remove the mold or mildew. Just wash roof to remove dirt. Let dry. Spray on as directed on the bottle. It’s a 5 to 1 mixture. Let dry. Don’t rinse off. In few days it will turn stains a light tannish color and continue to kill the mildew stains and rain will wash them off or after few weeks you could wash roof again. But I just let it do it’s thing and let rain finally rinse it. It’s a no brainer. Don’t over think it. Easy Peasy.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon Blue View Post
You don’t need to remove the mold or mildew. Just wash roof to remove dirt. Let dry. Spray on as directed on the bottle. It’s a 5 to 1 mixture. Let dry. Don’t rinse off. In few days it will turn stains a light tannish color and continue to kill the mildew stains and rain will wash them off or after few weeks you could wash roof again. But I just let it do it’s thing and let rain finally rinse it. It’s a no brainer. Don’t over think it. Easy Peasy.

Does it damage the decals when it runs down the sides?

Also is it safe for the darker brown/tan fiberglass sides and caps?

Will it damage black slide toppers or awnings?
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mold, roo, roof