Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #1

Roof Vents

A springtime reminder to check your roof vent covers and the caps on your pipes while your up there.

I opened a bathroom vent over the weekend and the plastic was so weak that a strong wind broke the plastic off the metal frame leaving me with a 14x14 hole in my roof.

Once I got up there, I checked the vent caps and they were also falling apart.

My Georgetown is a 2007, so we got ~4 years out of the originals.

I'll be replacing the plastic and putting MaxxAir II covers on them for further protection.

Also I plan to paint the new vent pipe caps to make them match the rig and provide extra protection from the UV rays.
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Hey TulsaSteve, it's been a while! I replaced the bathroom vent pipes with the Turbo / Cyclone type that spin in the direction of travel to help vent the tanks without forcing any air down inside them. I used Fusion Silver paint and they match up real well. I did the Air Maxx Covers, in Silver, when we first got our coach.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

What timing on this post. I washed off the roof of my Surveyor over the weekend, and a big chunk of the black tank vent cap came off while I was washing it. By the time I got the vent cap off of the flange, much of it was in tiny pieces. I bought 2 new caps at a local RV dealer today (might as well replace the gray tank vent cap also), and when I started to pull the vent cap off of the flange, the dealer said let it be, and replace the whole thing. He added that if the vent cap is that brittle, then the flange is probably also. He had a good point. Hopefully the screws will line up wit the new flange, so I can use the old holes.

Those 2 vent caps cost me all of $1.95 ea.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #4

Hey Charlie! Good to hear from you! I'll definitely check out the Turbo/Cyclone caps. Sounds like a great idea.

I went with the new MaxxAir II in black. The video shows a super easy installation that doesn't require any drilling through the roof.

I'm hoping to get more than 4 years out of the MaxxAir and I figure that if they start to degrade I'll still be sealed with the cover on the "crank out frame".
Old 04-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

This is similar to what I purchased but I don't remember the exact name.

Camco Mfg Inc - Cyclone Sewer Vent - Vents - Camping World

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #6

We took the trailer out of the storage barn.We keep a cover on it also in side. Took off the cover and discoverd a (Racoon) had got under there! The darling litte wild crearure chewed & broke off all (3) plumbing round vent covers. He also broke off the (Plastic) retaining stud that the screw goes in,that holds the cover. To go back to factory type would entail removal of the entire assy. off the roof, times (3) ,not going to happen!! Either the weather vane type (Cyclone) which I have used before or the spring loaded internal type,I have used both types and they last longer than the OEM ones. It is aginst the Ohio law to relocate wildlife. He will no longer be living in the same barn as the trailer! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
It is aginst the Ohio law to relocate wildlife.
Would seem reasonable to relocate wild life once said wild life was no longer living...