Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #1

Roof Walker

Hi, I recently purchased a a Rockwood Mini Lite travel trailer. My dealer can't answer conclusively and there's no way to contact a Forest River that I know of.

Does anybody know if the roof of this trailer can be walked on? Sure would be handy for putting a cover on.
tomich99224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #2

The FAQ section on the Forest River web site just says that most roofs are made to be walked on with soft soled shoes and are made with 3/8" plywood underlayment. I was just on a ladder next to mine yesterday and smacked the roof a few times and it FELT like hitting thick plywood..no give that I could tell. I haven't seen a definitive answer and I haven't been up on mine yet. I'm pretty sure it will handle it and I probably will sometime soon to check seals...I'll just step lightly and watch where I step.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomich99224 View Post
Hi, I recently purchased a a Rockwood Mini Lite travel trailer. My dealer can't answer conclusively and there's no way to contact a Forest River that I know of.

Does anybody know if the roof of this trailer can be walked on? Sure would be handy for putting a cover on.
If your unit came with a ladder, you can walk on the roof. If your unit did not come with a ladder the answer is no. You can still get on it but you would need to put plywood down to spread your weight as you move around on it. That is from FR themselves. But they still do not recommend it........and will not warranty any problems, but some times you just have to do what you have to do......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #4

I watched workers walking on the roof at the Rockwood assembly line this summer sealing the roof, vents ect. (no ladder installed). I suspect that there is a weight limitation & the 2 guys I saw were not near the 200+ lbs. range.

I walk on mine every time I wash the roof & check the seals but that is your call on what you are comfortable with. A local dealer will do that for you as well.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
If your unit came with a ladder, you can walk on the roof. If your unit did not come with a ladder the answer is no. You can still get on it but you would need to put plywood down to spread your weight as you move around on it. That is from FR themselves. But they still do not recommend it........and will not warranty any problems...
Source this please.

I have never had a ladder on any trailer and walk on the roof for inspection, maintenance and upgrades like vent covers. I'm open to your POV and am all ears but would like to see something from FR to support the statement.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Source this please.

I have never had a ladder on any trailer and walk on the roof for inspection, maintenance and upgrades like vent covers. I'm open to your POV and am all ears but would like to see something from FR to support the statement.
I know this is a different company, but my friend who has a Bigfoot added a ladder to his, and he had to get a template so he could attach it to the "studs" underneath the outside wall. So at least in his case, the factory provided the opportunity for a ladder but the camper didn't come originally equipped with one.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #7

Just a follow-up. I got an email from Roger Bieler who works in the warranty / service department at Rockwood, and he basically said that the roof of the mini lite is constructed the same way as other Rockwoods and is therefore safe to walk on, whether the unit is equipped with a ladder or not.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #8

I walked on mine to install 2 vent covers. Also I walk on it when I wash, treat and inspect the roof. I weigh 200 lbs and have had no problems. It seems strong enough to me.
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:30 PM   #9

I walk on our Wildwood roof when I wash it and have installed vent covers and replaced lids, no problems. Just be very careful and mindful where you step.
I weigh more than 250lbs. too. I use the X-Chocks on one of the wheel sets to stabilize the unit when I am up there too and it is much more comfortable moving around.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:53 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

While at the Rockwood they said there are a few people on the roof at a time. Here is a cutout of the roof. I think one is for a vent and the other (not real clear) is for the A/C with brackets for support. The roof is all one piece.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	052.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	40296   Click image for larger version

Name:	053.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	40297  
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:51 AM   #11

I would say if your doing any fixing, installation or normal maintenance it should be ok. I wouldn't recommend setting up any lawn chairs or having a dance party on the roof even though your fellow campers might find it entertaining

I say if something needs attention, go ahead and do it and then get off. I haven't heard of anyone falling through a roof so I would be cautious anyway.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof