Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2016, 12:56 PM   #1

Routine Roof Maintenance

Well, our first winter approaches in Wenatchee.....brrr. What are the recommended procedures to follow to winterize the roof before we put the cover on for the season? Not even sure what the roof is made of on our 2015 Freelander.

Thanks.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:07 PM   #2

We wash ours once a year and check the seals/caulking to make sure there are no holes or tears. Not sure if cold weather conditions require other steps.
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:06 PM   #3

Took my Prime Time Crusader fiver in for a 2nd AC and just got a call from the dealer that all the roof seams need to be replaced due to cracking and not being put on think enough. I asked the guy - WTH - it is only 2 yrs old. He said it just depends on how/when it is put on - the conditions and that he as scraped off and replaced it after only 3 months on some new units. I asked about eternabond and he would not recommend it - only Dicor. What do you guys think? This is $1K for them to do it. This unit is turning into a not so pleasant adventure - never had this with issue with my other 4 units.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:17 PM   #4

Only my opinion.. if you aren't there or have looked at it. I would ask for some detailed pictures. IMO It's either defective sealant or improper application. Repair a couple areas? Yeah maybe. Total redo I don't buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:45 PM   #5

Roof Sealant and other things

I did ask for pics and emailed PT (Denny Plank) and ask that he contact the dealer. Have heard nothing back and doubt I will. I had checked the roof prior and thought all the sealant along the sides was suspect as well at that across the front cap. I like this RV but at this time, I am not real happy with this one. I can sure tell a difference in quality between this and my last unit.
1. The handle on the shower door came loose - the glue and rubber strip gone. PT wants me to replace the entire shower door to fix the handle - not happening
2. Fireplace replaced under warranty - stopped working after a couple of months. Replacement seems good
3. Step on ladder broke and had to be replaces under warranty
4. Front cap fad, no help from PT - out of warranty period
5. Awning motor failed while open. Warranty paid for motor, I paid labor
6. Replaced all 5 tires with GY 614s before taking a major trip to avoid problems
7. Faucet leak in kitchen due to improper installation of water lines -replaced under warranty
8. Kitchen faucet on-off quit working, replaced entire unit with residential unit myself
9. Shower door casing leaked onto floor, removed, cleaned and recaulked myself
10. Theater seating - recline mechanism on right chair broke, paid to have it fixed.
11. Theater seating - right chair spring now broken - living with it for now.
12. Shower faucet broken, bought and replaced with new unit myself
13. Had to replace circuit board in AC unit due to cycling but the compressor not coming on repeatedly unless I got up and moved the thermostat up or down one degree. This went on for months and I had to do a lot of research via the forum to make a case to get it corrected.
14. Added 2nd AC unit after beach trip, one unit will not keep up.

While most of this is not major, it is simply annoying and just wears you down.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:24 AM   #6

Roof Seal

Dicor is a very well known and quality product for roof repair/maint. You will not go wrong using it. I use Eternabond as it is easy to work with, last almost forever and looks professional when done right. I purchased my last roll (4"x50') along with a spray can of primer for $82 on Amazon.

Whatever you use, PREPARATION is the most important part of the repair. Do not just cover the old sealant. Remove it as best you can, clean the surface, clean the surface, and clean the surface again. It has to be clean or nothing will work. Do not use Eternabond over silicon, it won't stick. I am not sure about Dicor. But, you shouldn't be putting silicon on your roof anyway, it just won't last.

Good luck. It is fun (honestly) to do and the finished results will make you proud.

Jeff and Diane
Houseless Not Homeless

Tags
roo, roof