Old 03-15-2014, 09:15 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvroofer View Post
?..Dicor self leveling caulking, this causes all rv roof leaks...
Hyperbole? Must be.

I've never heard anyone else ever claim that Dicor LAP sealant is the actual cause of roof leaks (much less all roof leaks).

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:18 AM   #32
Never Leak RV Roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Hyperbole? Must be.

I've never heard anyone else ever claim that Dicor LAP sealant is the actual cause of roof leaks (much less all roof leaks).
It dries up splits and cracks then lets water in..I see it every day.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

That is why it needs to be maintained, rvroofer. Regular inspection and maintenance of the seams and seals are a requirement. "Regularly" meaning several times per year.

Sure, EternaBond has a great and well-deserved reputation from many here as an alternative, but that does not mean or imply that LAP sealant is ineffective when properly maintained and certainly does not mean that LAP sealant causes roof leaks (which is why your statement is hyperbole).

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 03-15-2014, 09:45 AM   #34
Never Leak RV Roofing

The last thing people wan't to do is climb up on the roof and inspect there rv roof, and the alternative i was talking about is Brentwood Coatings 4" Tape-Kote and the 100% Acrylic Elastomeric RV Roof Coating, and i don't understand why my statement is in hyperbole.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
That is why it needs to be maintained, rvroofer. Regular inspection and maintenance of the seams and seals are a requirement. "Regularly" meaning several times per year.

Sure, EternaBond has a great and well-deserved reputation from many here as an alternative, but that does not mean or imply that LAP sealant is ineffective when properly maintained and certainly does not mean that LAP sealant causes roof leaks (which is why your statement is hyperbole).
X2 on your statement. RVROOFER, are you talking about the rubber roof or TPO roofs just to be clear.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvroofer View Post
The last thing people wan't to do is climb up on the roof and inspect there rv roof, and the alternative i was talking about is Brentwood Coatings 4" Tape-Kote and the 100% Acrylic Elastomeric RV Roof Coating, and i don't understand why my statement is in hyperbole.
Its hyperbole because its an exaggeration designed to create a strong impression and make your case for an alternative to LAP sealant.

So, lets agree to disagree that the proper use and maintenance of LAP sealant causes roof leaks. A roof may leak, but that is due to improper use or coverage, which is the fault of the owner or installer; not the sealant itself.

But, I do get where you were going with your post and what you meant.

And, I agree that, when not maintained properly, which requires getting up on the roof, LAP sealant will crack and that can eventually lead to leak issues. I also agree with you that the products you mentioned (of which I am unfamiliar) and the commonly used EternaBond provide a longer-lasting and likely better solution (if people are willing to climb up there and do it themselves or pay someone to do it for them).

Maybe you can share a detailed description of the install using the Tape-Kote and the RV Roof Coating so that others here can benefit from your experience with the products you mention?

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 03-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #37
Denver, CO

sounds like a commercial advert to me. Is that allowed here? Can the moderators verify that there is not employment connection.

Seams (pun intended) fishy to me.

ALSO.

It's a fine line but stroring close to a huge interstate with the fall out of vehicle emission. WHAT THE HECK is vehicle emissions fall out. I have heard of acid rain, but now radiation from cars? No wonder our roofs are in problem.

How many people have actually had their roofs leak? The roof itself and not the vent and other penetrations. IT is the caulking that is the big issue IMO, and not the roof itself. I think eternabond is the real solution to MOST problems, or the other like tapes, not just washing the roof membrane.

Just Saying
Old 03-15-2014, 10:57 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Rubber roof maintenance

Garbonz, thanks for bring that up.

rvroofer is already labeled commercial and he knows the rules and is abiding by them in my opinion.

I also think a detailed description of the process in a new thread (preferably with pictures) would help the members here if they want to do it themselves.

But, again, thanks for bringing up his commercial affiliation.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 03-15-2014, 04:54 PM   #39
Denver, CO

Thanks triguy. good point.. There are some forum posts on both cleaning and seam sealing that may be good to look at.

I think the OP got his Q's answered about the CW roof maintenance so maybe we are done with this one.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #40
Never Leak RV Roofing

On monday afternoon I will post the start to finish of a 20 year rv roof, including pulling the ac unit(s) and carpentry that we run into all the time here in Florida.

Tags
maintenance, roo, roof